Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Came German Helmet

Article about: Just picked this one up an ET 64 couple of days ago. The helmet is wet so you can see the camo. Wish it had a liner but better to have it without than not have it at all!! Thanks for looking

Default WW1 Came German Helmet

Just picked this one up an ET 64 couple of days ago. The helmet is wet so you can see the camo. Wish it had a liner but better to have it without than not have it at all!!
    Thanks for looking!
    WW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Came German Helmet
    P
    Many

Nice mimic camouflage and it seems to be only two colour shading areas? Nice helmet even without the liner.

Thanks appreciate it! What is strange, this helmet came with a 77th Infantry Helmet! The Liberty is faint but there. I'll post it in the next day or so but I might then put both of them together!

Not a good practice to wet down a 100 + year old historical item. Also not as easy to judge the paint when it’s wet. Water only stimulates the rusting process further. I would make sure it is very dry before storing it.

Any chance of seeing some photos of it when it’s completely dry?

Default Additional Pictures

Guys here is the helmet outside and dry. There was so much wasp nets and dirt! Added the 77th Division helmet as well, its faint but there. Looks good that way, what if they were both together at the same time!!
    WW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German Helmet

Those helmets really need treatment. Dry rust will only spread.
    Antique wax or Beewax (same stuff) treatment would be best. After using wax leave it dry in cardboard box and wax smell will dissipate away, and moist wax will dry and "wet look" will disapear.
    But before wax treatment wash helmet with soapwater.

Other advanced thing is oxalix acid, but most amateur people ruin their helmet by leaving it in in axid too long, or Oxalix acid amount (too strong acid water) will bite into helmet paint color (colors became faded).
    So soapwater is simpe choice.

Nice helmets.

Quote by lonewolf523 View Post
    Guys here is the helmet outside and dry. There was so much wasp nets and dirt! Added the 77th Division helmet as well, its faint but there. Looks good that way, what if they were both together at the same time!!
    WW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German HelmetWW1 Came German Helmet
    I would strongly advise against treating these helmets in any way except for storing them in a humidity controlled (i.e. low humidity environment). Waxing etc. devalues the helmet and changes the 'untouched' condition of them. They have survived well over the last 100 years untouched as they are but once you add some type of preservative they are no longer untouched. If you notice an deterioration etc., you could invest in a dehumidifier as they are very good at maintaining a stable low humidity environment. Waxing etc. was something done in the earlier collecting days but not so much today. Oxalic acid changes the color of painted helmets rendering them a different color to what they were originally.

MAP
    ?

Agree with Andy. Leave them untouched in a humidity controlled environment and they will outlast your grandchildren
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is interesting that the mimic paint shades appear quite muted compared to my own example, where the green, brown colours are deeper. What do others think, is there an explanation - has it been treated in the past?

?

Looks like two different helmets to me.

Look at the black paint in the third wet image and compare it to the black paint in the second dry image. Same with the black paint on the rear of the wet and dry pics. I think you’ve posted the wrong ‘dry’ helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast