Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww1 Cammo M18 helmet

Article about: Hi just thought id share this guys found this in the dark corner of a very old dirty untidy antique shop unfortunately it looks to have been varnished at some point has remains of leather li

Default ww1 Cammo M18 helmet

Hi just thought id share this guys found this in the dark corner of a very old dirty untidy antique shop unfortunately it looks to have been varnished at some point has remains of leather liner and strap that does not look genuine to me but its a cammo so im happy even has remains of a name in rear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 Cammo M18 helmet   ww1 Cammo M18 helmet  

ww1 Cammo M18 helmet   ww1 Cammo M18 helmet  

ww1 Cammo M18 helmet   ww1 Cammo M18 helmet  

ww1 Cammo M18 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww1 Cammo M18 helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: ww1 Cammo M18 helmet

Looks like a good camo that has been varnished as you say. Nice find.

should i leave the varnish?

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    should i leave the varnish?
    I would leave it be, it looks too nice under there to risk. There is a guy called Bill Maertz that can do it professionally for you if you want. His work really is great, and far better than you or I could hope to do ourselves. I'm not sure how to contact him but I know Doug has used him so he might have a contact.

Would just leave it as it is, the varnish is part of the helmets "history" now and I fear if you attempted to remove it damage could be done to the camo underneath, just my opinion, Nice find, Chris.

nice lid and great cammo is this the model 1917 as it has chinstrap mounts on shell

That's a great find, if it belonged to me i'd leave the varnish alone.

Ok will leave any you guys know what it would be worth please was offered 170 for it ? i suspect its worth a little more

Pricing isn't my forte so would wait for KradSpams opinion on this one, cheers, Chris.

Quote by col james View Post
    nice lid and great cammo is this the model 1917 as it has chinstrap mounts on shell
    I beg to differ..it is not a M17 or an M18, .but a nice M16 Stahlhelm, with M91 Pickelhaube chin strap style mounts on the inner skirt of the helmet, and remains of a leather liner...M17 are the same shell, but have a metal liner band. Looks to be a size 62 or 64, there will be a maker/size mark on the inner skirt close to the chinstrap mount, this will tell you who made the helmet, for example "ET62", there may also be a batch number stamped on the inside top/crown, this will identify the rolling mill the steel was sourced from.......it looks like one of the chin strap mounts has become detached, pulled through. The cammo finish has a very good chance of being original, from the photographs....the varnish is not. The cammo finish will of been applied in or after August 1918 when the regulations came out.... Good find....
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast