Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww1 german helmet

Article about: Hello I bought this helmet earlier today it is quite rusty and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or info on how to remove the rust or stop it from spreading and any info will be greatly

Default Ww1 german helmet

Hello I bought this helmet earlier today it is quite rusty and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or info on how to remove the rust or stop it from spreading and any info will be greatly appreciated. Ww1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ww1 german helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Keep it in a low humidity environment and it should remain stable for longer than you or I will be around.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The rust doesn’t look too active from the photos, so do as MAP has suggested and it should be fine. I like to monitor my collection periodically for signs of mould of rust etc and try to adjust the conditions accordingly if deterioration or potential threats are noted.

Nice M16 but the way. Any manufacturers stamps?

Andy

Thank you for responding to my post and I was also unable to find markings I am quite unfamiliar with ww1 german helmets because this is my first one and I was wondering where I might find them?

In good looking authentic condition.

Looks great, lovely patina, markings wise, there should be a stamping to the right of the chinstrap lug (inside helmet, wearer's left), which is the maker/size & maybe a stamp inside the crown, which is the steel mill marking....best to use an eye loupe & varying degrees of daylight to 'pick out' details !
    Cheers
    Paul

Manufacturers stamps are located on the inside shell on the on the lefthand side just forward of the chinstrap lug. There were 13 manufacturers that are recorded, however there could be more. Inside the dome there should also be a rolling mill number which indicates at which mill the steel rolled at, however it may be that there is corrosion over the numbers in your example. Also, if the helmet was painted over or camoed, the manufacturers code is often covered.

Below is an example of a manufacturers code for a size 60 helmet manufactured by Eisenhuettenwerke Thale A.G., Thale /Harz.

Andy
    Ww1 german helmet

Could you provide us with a photograph of the helmet on a table top or so, taken from the side? This to determine the shape of the shell and in particular the "dip"? That is to say the curvature of the peak to the skirt. ( I don't know whether that is the correct terminology).

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi Emile,

I think you may be referring to the “Dome” i.e. the area at the very top of the shell. The area where the front visor meets the rear skirt is most often referred to as the transition. This is most noticeable on the first of the M16’s also known as the square dip which were produced in numbers approximating 30,000 between late 1915 and early 1916. Gnuchtel shells are often mistaken for SQ dip helmets due to the steep transition.

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi Andy,

I think you are right. To my mind this shell might be an early helmet, that falls in the range you are describing.

We'll see!

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast