Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 Imperial German M16 Stahlhelm Helmet Interwar Period Reichswehr Reissue?

Article about: I acquired this helmet several years ago in a large lot of WW1 items, mostly US Army AEF tunics and British field gear. Though I collect mostly WW2 German pieces, having always been a fan of

Quote by komet45 View Post
    I was thumbing through my copy of "Belt buckles & Brocades Of The Third Reich" by John Angolia and happened upon this image of RLB recruits wearing WW1 era Stahlhelms. It's tough to say for certain but there do not appear to be any visible decals present on the helmets. No exact date is given but it looks like mid-to-late 30s to my eyes.

I know Angolia's book on SS insignia gets a lot of flak (Ha!) but I own many of his references, including the SS insignia book, and have always found them interesting if not informative. Hindsight is always 20/20 and a picture is worth 1000 words!
    Of course early Allgemeigne SS helmets always cross the mind when you initially see some images of a black painted M16 style helmets, however this one is not really a candidate unfortunately. WW1 German steel helmets were re-purposed and used by so many countries after WW1 that it may have been used by any number but without enough visible clues it really ends up being pure conjecture as to they were used for unfortunately.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 05-09-2024 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Imperial German M16 Stahlhelm Helmet Interwar Period Reichswehr Reissue?
    P
    Many

Andy, thank you for really taking a close look at this Stahlhelm, I really appreciate all the information you have shared as well as your time. Very happy that a few small traces of original Feldgrau might still be hiding underneath the paint and lacquer. I think you are dead-on in all of your conclusions, this helmet probably served out it's Post-Imperial days in a slightly less "glamorous" civic role. It still holds a few secrets, and an esteemed position in my humble Stahlhelm collection!

Quote by komet45 View Post
    Andy, thank you for really taking a close look at this Stahlhelm, I really appreciate all the information you have shared as well as your time. Very happy that a few small traces of original Feldgrau might still be hiding underneath the paint and lacquer. I think you are dead-on in all of your conclusions, this helmet probably served out it's Post-Imperial days in a slightly less "glamorous" civic role. It still holds a few secrets, and an esteemed position in my humble Stahlhelm collection!
    No problem at all Komet. I really find it fascinating trying to work out what the past history of a helmet may have been. And to me they are all quite interesting and individual pieces in their own right and were part of one of the most biggest events in modern history. Where many were destroyed during or post war, this one albeit changed from its original configuration, is a real survivor.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2