Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Helmet Identification Help

Article about: Hello all! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify my two WWI helmets. I was deployed to Afghanistan from 2013 - 2014 and purchased these two items from an Afghan bazar vendor w

Default WWI Helmet Identification Help

Hello all! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify my two WWI helmets. I was deployed to Afghanistan from 2013 - 2014 and purchased these two items from an Afghan bazar vendor who claimed they were WWI German helmets that were later used by the Afghan army. I forgot what I paid for them, but I haven't tried to do any research until recently.

What I can tell so far is that the larger one looks like an M17 Austrian variant from the rivets but I can't tell what the smaller one is. I also can't find any markings on the inside, so they are either fake, very faded, or painted over a lot. I also honestly don't know where exactly to look anyway. Is this normal for old helmets like these?

Can anyone tell me anything about these helmets from the photos I attached? If you need a photo of a specific part, please let me know.

Thank you much!

Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Helmet Identification Help   WWI Helmet Identification Help  

WWI Helmet Identification Help   WWI Helmet Identification Help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Helmet Identification Help
    P
    Many

Hi Adam,

These appear to be what is known as Afghan helmets. The first helmet is an M16 Austrian size 66 or 68 shell.

The second shell, is a sized 64, M18, and also I believe originally an Austrian (happy to be corrected) example as well although the liner pin looks quite high. Both would have been sent to Afghanistan after WW1. These helmets were rebadged (hence the extra holes in the right hand side) and refurbished with new liners and paint.

Any stamps inside the rear skirt or inside the dome?

Andy

MAP
    ?

Hi Adam,

Pretty much agree with Andy and in line with my comments to your question over at the GHV Forum.

Welcome aboard!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

@andyM35 I think the second one is a normal ”M18” which has been fitted with normal chinstrap bales(afghan versions). What leads me to believe this is that the Austrian-hungarian M18 looked alot diffrent and did not contain splitpins at the front. Most Afghan(Austrian M18s). That I have seen still contain this splitpins less look). With the rivet high up as you say. The chinstrap bales do not look like Austrian bales IMO.