Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Any Efficient Way of Preserving Liner In German Helmet?

Article about: Hello, I have a german helmet that has a liner that is not in the best condition. The shelf that I put the helmet on for about a month has a lot of bits and pieces of leather where the helme

?

Default Any Efficient Way of Preserving Liner In German Helmet?

Hello, I have a german helmet that has a liner that is not in the best condition.
    The shelf that I put the helmet on for about a month has a lot of bits and pieces of leather where the helmet was put on display. Does anyone happen to know of an efficient way of preserving it. Or in the condition that the lining is in, is it better if I just leave it?
    (In the image the lining does not look as bad as it does in person.)

Greetings from N.C, U.S.A.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any Efficient Way of Preserving Liner In German Helmet?
    P
    Many

DO NOT use vasoline. See what happens in the topic I am about to post! Jim G.

Nothing can be done ! You are suffering from "The Pancake" effect. Called that due to the way it flops & sags. Excessive dry conditions did this. Only thing to do is ball up two or more of the thin flimsy plastic grocery bags & gently place inside helmet then flip over & don't mess with it much. Plastic bags will prevent flopping. I have even gone as far as tying shoelace or cord from chinstrap bale to bale holding the plastic bags in place.
    D.

?

And do not use mink oil or similar product as it discolors it and turns it dark brown. as a novice I did that to my first M42 Heer with a dry liner and still regret it.

Quote by Aldo View Post
    And do not use mink oil or similar product as it discolors it and turns it dark brown. as a novice I did that to my first M42 Heer with a dry liner and still regret it.
    Correct. Been discussed for many years. Use NOTHING to treat liners in German helmets.

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Hello, I have a german helmet that has a liner that is not in the best condition.
    The shelf that I put the helmet on for about a month has a lot of bits and pieces of leather where the helmet was put on display. Does anyone happen to know of an efficient way of preserving it. Or in the condition that the lining is in, is it better if I just leave it?
    (In the image the lining does not look as bad as it does in person.)

Greetings from N.C, U.S.A.

I touched on this subject on my blog : Preserve and destroy ? – German Helmet Vault

?

Thanks for everyones responses!

TWS
    ?

Yes. Like the others have said, in this case less is more.