Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle damaged size 66/59 liner

Article about: This liner arrived yesterday, I planned on putting it in my SD Heer M42 shell, and I still will, but the seller's site made not mention of it being a battle damaged liner, I personally thoug

Default Battle damaged size 66/59 liner

This liner arrived yesterday, I planned on putting it in my SD Heer M42 shell, and I still will, but the seller's site made no mention of it being a battle damaged liner, I personally thought it was rodent damage, but after inspecting it closer it became obvious that this was shrapnel damage.
    Not something I recall having seen before, to me a very interesting item, with all the holes in the leather, inner ring and leaf springs. You can also see where the helmet shell begins on the outside because the dents in the outer band stop right there because they would have hit the hardened helmet shell and stopped.
    I'd be interested to hear what you all think of this liner.
    Still in as-found condition I should think, I only rubbed away a bit of the mud to make the stampings clearer.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle damaged size 66/59 liner   Battle damaged size 66/59 liner  

Battle damaged size 66/59 liner   Battle damaged size 66/59 liner  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle damaged size 66/59 liner
    P
    Many

More pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle damaged size 66/59 liner   Battle damaged size 66/59 liner  

M38
    ?

I think you are right - combination of battle damage and rodent damage maybe. But a 1944 dated liner does not really belong in a single decal Heer helmet. You need a 1943 dated or a year or two earlier liner.

Cheers,
    Terry

Yes, I think so, too.
    I know that, but it's the only I have for now, the seller as already said did not take pictures of the stampings hence it was basicly a gamble on if I would get a correctly dated liner
    If a nice 43 or 42 dated liner emerges I will definitely get that.
    Luis

Well, had a look around on the net to look for a 66 size liner, but the only ones I found were either also 1944 dated, undesirable condition or horribly overpriced.. So I think I will have to make due with what I have at hand, even if it is not the correct date, we can at least pretend it was replaced at some point, but if I ever find a decent size 66 liner or even just liner band with the correct date, I will definitely not hesitate.
    Luis

Why would you in gods name remove the entire liner of the helmet?! You just destroyed the originality of the entire piece. Just keep the liner and shell together. That is how it was found and that is how is should be left.

Excuse me? I think you completely missed the point here..
    This liner was seperate from any shell so nothing would have been destroyed here, keep your unnecessary rage to yourself. I only had an empty shell which I needed a liner for.
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    This liner was seperate from any shell so nothing would have been destroyed here, keep your unnecessary rage to yourself. I only had an empty shell which I needed a liner for.
    Luis
    Agree. It helps to read the OP's opening statement before opining on the item shown.
    D.

For what it's worth the RB Nr 0/0258?/2917 suggests Berlin manufacture.

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Luis
    So the liner came as is, and then was placed in to the M42 shell by yourself?
    I can see the M42 in the photo at the start of the pictures. Possibly there was some confusion as this appears first and then the liner afterwards.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast