Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Black Painted helmet

Article about: by Jammanna Id like to ask before you took the black paint off could you see evidence of a decal through the black paint. I just picked up a lot from a US vet that included a german helmet t

?

Default Black Painted helmet

Hi Guys,

I got a balck painted M40 from an auction house and decided to remove the paint..here are the results....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black Painted helmet   Black Painted helmet  

Black Painted helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black Painted helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Black Painted helmet

Quote by Luis22 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I got a balck painted M40 from an auction house and decided to remove the paint..here are the results....
    Nice work! May I ask what you used to remove the paint and how? I also have a black M42 and plan on doing the same, before I proceed I need to confirm that these were Czech re-issue yes?
    Thanks

René

?

it looks good it looks like acetone was used to remove the paint, rgds Dave

Fantastic,its one of the pleasures of collecting german helmets to clear away post war debri ,and discover a decal ,well done its a lovely looking helmet.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice work! May I ask what you used to remove the paint and how? I also have a black M42 and plan on doing the same, before I proceed I need to confirm that these were Czech re-issue yes?
    Thanks

René
    Hi Rene,
    I wish I knew from where the helmet comes from...I bought in an online auction listed as a WW1 helmet.
    I used acetone but be very careful since acetone may also damaged the paint underneath. Start with acetone as soon as you see the second layer of paint stop and continue with paint thinner to remove the left over from the black paint.Good luck and please post pics before and after.
    Be very careful with any decal acetone wil detroy it very easily

Luis, you continue to amaze me. I'm still waiting for mine

rgds, Ty

Hi Rene,
    I wish I knew from where the helmet comes from...I bought in an online auction listed as a WW1 helmet.
    I used acetone but be very careful since acetone may also damaged the paint underneath. Start with acetone as soon as you see the second layer of paint stop and continue with paint thinner to remove the left over from the black paint.Good luck and please post pics before and after.
    Be very careful with any decal acetone wil detroy it very easily
    Thanks Mate
    I did a small patch using nail polish remover before I read your reply.
    In your opinion does this example seem to have original paint existing underneath? as the current paint work looks thin.

Thanks again

René

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Thanks Mate
    I did a small patch using nail polish remover before I read your reply.
    In your opinion does this example seem to have original paint existing underneath? as the current paint work looks thin.

Thanks again

René
    Rene,
    I read an article about German Helmets used by the Norwegians and by East European countries after WW II according the author all these helmets were stripped of their original paint before beign repainted again...I would reccomend buying black repainted helmets from the USA, these were used by Bikers and most times they still have the original paint underneath. Two weeks ago a fantastic M35 Black painted helmet sold on Ebay, you could clearly see the silhoute of both decals unforunately sold for $300 which is out of my budget,,

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...103109-037.JPG

Rene,
    I read an article about German Helmets used by the Norwegians and by East European countries after WW II according the author all these helmets were stripped of their original paint before beign repainted again...I would reccomend buying black repainted helmets from the USA, these were used by Bikers and most times they still have the original paint underneath. Two weeks ago a fantastic M35 Black painted helmet sold on Ebay, you could clearly see the silhoute of both decals unforunately sold for $300 which is out of my budget,,

Vendio.com
    Thanks Mate, I've a few other helmets and don't really need another, shame as this has a minty liner. I'll have to keep using this one as a pretend police helmet! (I currently have no police head gear)

Regards
    René

Hello,
    For sure the helmet that opened this thread looks far better now...congrats for this work. I also own a german helmet which received a postwar coat of paint (brown). Once removed, a very nice three tone camo at 85% (at least), a so-called "Normandy camo", has been revealed...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast