Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506

Article about: I bought this a little while ago from Brian Ice. It is an interesting M42 Helmet, ckl66 Lot number 3506, produced from the Thale Factory in Brown. This is the helmet that Brian made the entr

Default Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506

I bought this a little while ago from Brian Ice. It is an interesting M42 Helmet, ckl66 Lot number 3506, produced from the Thale Factory in Brown. This is the helmet that Brian made the entry for in the lot number book so if you look up the number this is the exact helmet described. It is also featured on the cover and in his book "Late war Helmets of the third reich "Thale." This is an interesting helmet. The Brown Color was a special order mainly produced by the Thale Factory. This helmet was possibly used by a late war SA unit or by the Felderrnhalle. It is near mint with complete intact liner, RBnr chinstrap and even a dome stamp. A member of another forum has its twin with the same lot number but it is a Feldherrnhalle double decal helmet. Apparently the decals were applied at the unit level and not at the factory. So mine was just unlucky and never received decals. Either way a rare piece that will stay I my collection for a long time.

As always any comments or concerns are greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506   Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506  

Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506   Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Brown M42 Helmet ckl66 #3506
    P
    Many

Beautiful helmet. I checked out his book - you can indeed tell it's the same helmet, there is a slight paint blemish on the left side centre bottom.
    I also noticed in your second last photo it looks like some layers of paint may have worn away unevenly?
    I've seen this on quite a few other photos of helmets.
    Nick

I agree with a possible link to the FHH but the brown seems like an overpaint to me and not factory applied , overpaint being done usually in tandem with decal application.
    How far does the brown go into the interior ?

Here's a ckl with a later lot than yours with the FHH decals : https://germanhelmetvault.com/feldherrnhalle-helmets/

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I agree with a possible link to the FHH but the brown seems like an overpaint to me and not factory applied , overpaint being done usually in tandem with decal application.

Here's a ckl with a later lot than yours with the FHH decals : https://germanhelmetvault.com/feldherrnhalle-helmets/
    I just love Terry's reverse decal M42 FHH! Jim G.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post

I am aware that most earlier examples of FHH Helmet were, from what I understand, Luftwaffe Over Paints. And I am sure that Brian is aware of this as well. For the particular Helmet, the paint is rather thin. On other helmets that have been Refurbished for reissue, field painted or camo applied, you can tell that the paint is layered as in most all examples there will be areas were the overlying layer has chipped or worn away revealing the underlying colors, or they only apply the new paint to the outside and the inner rim leaving the dome the original color. There are no signs of any of this on this helmet so it was for certain never any other color then Brown.

Quote by IMegaSquirt View Post
    I am aware that most earlier examples of FHH Helmet were, from what I understand, Luftwaffe Over Paints. And I am sure that Brian is aware of this as well. For the particular Helmet, the paint is rather thin. On other helmets that have been Refurbished for reissue, field painted or camo applied, you can tell that the paint is layered as in most all examples there will be areas were the overlying layer has chipped or worn away revealing the underlying colors, or they only apply the new paint to the outside and the inner rim leaving the dome the original color. There are no signs of any of this on this helmet so it was for certain never any other color then Brown.
    Would a big factory like ET change a paint process for such a small quantity of shells and even as late war as Ice describes. It goes against all logic. I don't buy it.

Still the helmet is interesting to own.

Was going to make a similar comment earlier as Frank's. Late war, aesthetics were hardly a concern in an ET factory or any factory. That's why one sees a lot of late war gear, buckles, helmets, tunic buttons, painted a blue/gray color. Was a universal color used, possibly the blue pigment was in a larger supply than feldgrau ? To me...the OP helmet looks repainted, not factory brown. But the inner dome painted brown with what appears a correct dome stamp makes me wonder. But I don't have it in hand so it is a mystery to me.

Yes...a unique & interesting helmet

Quote by real steel View Post
    Was going to make a similar comment earlier as Frank's. Late war, aesthetics were hardly a concern in an ET factory or any factory. That's why one sees a lot of late war gear, buckles, helmets, tunic buttons, painted a blue/gray color. Was a universal color used, possibly the blue pigment was in a larger supply than feldgrau ? To me...the OP helmet looks repainted, not factory brown. But the inner dome painted brown with what appears a correct dome stamp makes me wonder. But I don't have it in hand so it is a mystery to me.

Yes...a unique & interesting helmet
    Normally if it is refurbished and reissued they do not paint the inner dome, so being the dome is the same color as the rest of the helmet I do not believe it to be repainted. Unless it was stripped and then repainted but that still would not explain the dome stamp. There are also examples of Quist Factory Brown Helmets as well, though not as common.

I agree with you about the dome being painted & stamped. One can only figure it was factory done. Just as I had said...it is a mystery to me...I have not seen anything like it, but not much surprises me anymore.

MAP
    ?

This is an odd ball. I do not think it came originally when "New" from the factory with brown paint. Maybe a factory refurbish, but if so it was a pretty poorly done job. You can see the chips of the original paint underneath the brown especially by the rear split pin.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast