Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dating a Luftschutz Helmet

Article about: Hello Just curious about the Luftschutz "Gladiator" helmets. Can you tell the approximate date of manufacture by the construction of the helmet. (Three Pc, two, Single, etc.) Also,

Default Dating a Luftschutz Helmet

Hello

Just curious about the Luftschutz "Gladiator" helmets. Can you tell the approximate date of manufacture by the construction of the helmet. (Three Pc, two, Single, etc.) Also, I believe that I read that the RL 2 numbering system came into use in 1938. Is that correct? Was it used until the end of the war?
    Thank you for the help..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dating a Luftschutz Helmet
    P
    Many

Tough questions you present. I don't personally know of any documentation stating style of an LS helmet compared to date of manufacturing. These were offered for sale from various dealers to civilians & volunteers. I think the style was a matter of choice for the buyer & the date of manufacture not relevant.

One could make a logical assumption that the one piece gladiator would have been issued late war due to ease of manufacture, vs. the time it took to make a 3 piece helmet, but that's just a guess. Or the poor quality materials used such as ersatz leather vs. quality leather, lack of decal, might sway one to think a later issue.

The RL system..not sure when it began or ended

These LS helmets, I have never seen a date on one. So I can't say for certainty anything else. Maybe someone else has more info.

Thank you for the help. Just picked up a 3 Pc, Green painted Luftschutz, and was trying to determine possible timeframe of manufacture. I appreciate the help.

MAP
    ?

Quote by cerick1450 View Post
    Thank you for the help. Just picked up a 3 Pc, Green painted Luftschutz, and was trying to determine possible timeframe of manufacture. I appreciate the help.
    Do you have photos? Green is not a WW2 color so probably repainted post war.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am not home right now, but here is a link to a nearly identical helmet same maker mark, etc from this forum.
    Three Piece Luftschutz Helmet - Factory Green Paint

MAP
    ?

I am not home right now, but here is a link to a nearly identical helmet same maker mark, etc from this forum.
    Three Piece Luftschutz Helmet - Factory Green Paint
    Well, I just learned something new. Factory Green. And from no better a person than JimG himself. You will note that Al B is mentioned in that thread. If there is anyone that knows civil helmets it is him. He might have some info on dating. Maybe Jim knows as well. (Al is not a member of any forum).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As a matter of interest, the 8RM the individual had to pay for his /her helmet was a hefty sum.
    In 1943 you would pay 5Rm for 1kg each of butter, pork, bread and 5kg of coal totalled. Food on the table or a helmet?? Maybe they never had that choice?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Interesting when you look at the cost of a helmet or food.... Does the green paint on the Luftschutz Helmet increase its value significantly over the standard blue or black finish?
    Thank you for the help.

Interesting when you look at the cost of a helmet or food.... Does the green paint on the Luftschutz Helmet increase its value significantly over the standard blue or black finish?
    Thank you for the help.
    Not by much. Think the green one Jim G. bought I "fell asleep on" & missed out. The increase is somewhat minimal

Thanks to all for the information..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast