Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint

Article about: Doug would be the best judge on that Ned, but i have heard 2k upwards for original painted camo ear cut out with original three piece leather liner, depending on condition, i think some of t

Default Re: DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint

Hi Doug, 4MD is right, the decal on the Himmler lid is an Abels. Regarding the ear cut out, I am afraid that I don't like it. The shape just isn't right. The bill is squared, the flares are not pronounced enough, and the cut outs are too gently sloped, and for that matter, not deep enough. I think these pictures, when compared to the camo example, will show the differences that I think show that the camo isn't right. Just my opinion. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint   DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint  

DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint   DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint  

DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint   DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint  

DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint  
    Last edited by helmet2id; 04-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD Heer Transitional - Complete - Himmler Style Shell - Brown Paint
    P
    Many

?

Hi Jim, it seems were back to that awkward question re the angle of the cut out and the type of flare, i suppose the only way on this one is if theres a "R" preceeding the lot no/ in the dome, im wondering if ET ever changed the manufacturing process at one time, either to improve or modify the helmet, if this one is suspect then its a good attempt, i really would like to see this one in hand

Hi Dave, I keep looking at the camo ear cut out, and my eyes are also being drawn to the location of the front liner pins, which seem off. Looking at the liner shot, the length and squarish shape of the front visor, as well as the outline of the shape of the shell - more narrow behind the dips than I think it should be - are also a bad signs for me. I just am not comfortable with this one, it just doesn't have the right outlines. Finally, I haven't seen the ET64 stamp, although as I understand it, there are some real ear cut outs that don't have the maker/size stamp. I guess an in hand, side by side comparison would settle it, but I would caution anyone who is considering buying the camo cutout to be very sure before risking a substantial amount of money for it. Jim G.

Hi Chaps,

Just an update, i've asked the auction house for details of the makers stamp and heat stamp in the crown of the helmet (if any!) I'll keep you posted on any developments.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Looking at the thread today with my laptop vs iPhone, yes for sure not a grey lined decal and Jim you have a keen eye on the cut out, it doesnt smell right to me either, bad paint for sure.

Doug and Jim,

Many thanks for your wise words and excellent observations. I've just received a reply from the auction house in the form of a 'Condition Report'.

It says, quote - " The helmet contains no makers stamps or other related numbers."

So i guess that's that. BTW,besides the cut out helmet and the black transitional that's already been debunked, they're also selling a DKiG and a close combat badge in gold that are fake too.

Thanks again, as i was seriously thinking of having a punt at this one!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I reckon thats an auction house to avoid in future Ned, have you told them its not 100% kosher

?

Yeah passola on the ear cut out with no markings. Real ear cut outs sell in mere seconds in almost any condition. One in this condition, with this camo scheme would sell in a heartbeat for mid to high 4 figures, I could even see perhaps even 10k. To see one at an auction, like a black DD SS Allgemeine is usually "Collector Speak" for "Fake helmet" as they sell in seconds.

I know of a stone cold mint grey double decal reissue to a Heer General that came with the Generals uniform. Sadly the name was scraped off the rear of the inside skirt, why I do not know as the tunic has the name sewn in. Asking price for the helmet $25,000. The only reason it hasnt sold is the missing name and that affects the provenance, but what a helmet in hand.

?

Doug, many many years ago an old boy who my dad knew at the factory where we worked, knew that i was collecting and brought in some lids that he personally had brought home from France, one of which he had taken from a high ranking officer in a farm house about 3 miles from Sword beach, as he was about to take it from him, the officer grabbed hold of the helmet and with an ordinary butter type knife, scraped his name off the rear skirt, this old boy wanted to know why hed done it, and was told so he couldnt boast from who it came from, now i dont know if that was the reason why the helmet you mention was defaced but if you think about it , it could be logical, especially given the fact that a lot of older high ranking officers were pretty proud individuals and would have felt indignant, a possible reason?

?

If I recall the tunic and helmet both came directly from Germany and his descendants. The name removed is a puzzler. That being said it is common for Germans to remove name tags and personalization before selling so it cannot be later traced back to their family name.

That being said I really like that story! The vanity of the officer like " your not going to be able to brag about whom you captured ". Classic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast