Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early M18 Transitional

Article about: I pulled this one out this morning. I used to remember where, when and from whom I bought a helmet. I have no recollection of any of that with this one. Truth be told, when I opened the box

Default Early M18 Transitional

I pulled this one out this morning. I used to remember where, when and from whom I bought a helmet. I have no recollection of any of that with this one. Truth be told, when I opened the box and saw this one I was surprised - I didn’t remember ever seeing this one before! It is an early tranny, an SI66 with a single banded aluminum liner. The leather is embossed, and it has a carbine clip chinstrap, which, unfortunately, is broken and has evidence of at least one repair. The liner, a size 56, is undersized for the shell but I have no doubt it has been in place since the early ‘30’s - the early flat head split pins all have their washers, haven’t been molested, and are as tight as a drum. The smooth green paint is brush applied. The decals are HEAVILY lacquered, and the Adler is probably a heavily toned Heer, but it IS very golden. A KM? No, not a KM - too bad. Anyway, here it is. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early M18 Transitional   Early M18 Transitional  

Early M18 Transitional   Early M18 Transitional  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early M18 Transitional
    P
    Many

Here are the decals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early M18 Transitional   Early M18 Transitional  

Shots of the interior.

a beauty Jim. all very early parts.

I think when you forget you have helmets …. Your collection is in good shape haha. Nice one Jim. Never touch these early Stahlhelms but doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate their beauty
    Z

What a beauty Jim! And hard used too - perhaps seeing action in 1939. These early trannies have so much character and this one is no exception.

Andy

M38
    ?

Really interesting early helmet Jim. Is the incised liner stamp showing the leather size 56? Just wondered because the photo of the liner band marking shows the band is 66. I have seen some real early 1931 dated liners that have the incised stamp varied from what you would expect based on the liner band size so it is probably all original regardless.

Do you think the decals might have been lacquered by the vet long ago? Whenever I see a sloppy lacquer job it makes me think that. No way to know of course and even the Germans may not have been super careful how they did it, especially early on. Anyway, a quality helmet and thanks for showing.

Cheers,
    Terry

I like the age and look to this one! Great helmet Jim, I think one of these might be on my list next.

Yes Terry, the leather has a “56” size mark and the liner band says “66” - I have no explanation! I do think this one is untouched though. I never thought of a vet laquering the decal. It makes sense, it is heavily and sloppily applied. Cheers, Jim G,

I need as many helmets as you have if you forget some of them, lol! Nice example! Been there, done that kind of look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast