Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet

Article about: I was (and am..) looking for an honest M42 no decal helmet, when I saw this one for sale on a dealers site. The description reminded me that I had never seen a definition of what they call a

Default EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet

I was (and am..) looking for an honest M42 no decal helmet, when I saw this one for sale on a dealers site. The description reminded me that I had never seen a definition of what they call a 'rautarn' helmet. I think it is just a helmet repainted in the field for camouflage reasons without any specific pattern. Is that right ?
    This helmet is said to be a 'textbook' helmet. Is the term symbolic to say it is a very nice authentic helmet or is it really mentioned in one or another reference work ?
    I also would appreciate if anyone could comment on this helmet. The leather seems very dark. Most M42 helmets I see have the leather very pale. Is this the work of to much oil or is it an original darker type of leather ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet   EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet  

EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet   EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet  

EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

On my cell but looks like an honest M42 with a brush applied repaint

As for the liner, I think it is a combination of age/storage conditions and wear turning the pigskin dark

But can look in more detail tomorrow unless someone come by sooner with a view

And for what it is worth, for all the years I've been collecting and the many dozens of helmets, I still don't have a ND M42!!!! LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dealer descriptions are always something I ignore. An M40 /42 repaint , overpaint. Is never textbook.
    There was less reason to overpaint the already non reflective factory paint on these helmets , so you will see a lot less of these overpaints than on M35’s for example. But they do exist of course , this looks so far like a nice example. The photos are small though. Also it is rear marked but it could still have had a decal , depends on the lot nr but I can’t see it clearly.

All I can find are ND M42s! I don’t have a DD M35 after 20 years of collecting, so if you want a trade MAP,…..

TWS
    ?

You are right. "Rautarn" refers to the texture, not the pattern.

A helmet repainted to give it a rough texture (raue Textur auf Deutsch) in order to have better camouflage characteristics. Ie. make it non-reflective compared to a smooth(er) finish paint.

This helmet looks promising to the extent the photos allow. The liner is dark due to probably a combination of original useage during the time and storage conditions since the war.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I want to have at least one decent M42 in my collection, so I can see, feel and smell all its contents....in combination with the knowledge I gather here, the best way to learn I think...

I bought this one...I will send better pictures once it arrives..Hope I can read the full lotnumber once in hand. Thanks again for the replies ! A no decal helmet has a certain purity and robustness that I feel difficult to explain, especially with that thick paint...

Arrived. Will send better pictures. Meanwhile, according to me the lotnumber is 2964 (EF64)
    When I look at the lotnumber base :

2944 EF 62 DD Polizei steel liner
    2957 EF 64 SD Heer steel liner
    3035 EF 66 SD SS steel liner 1941
    3035 EF 66 SD SS steel liner

So if I take the right conclusion, good possibility to find a heer decal under the paint (that I will not take off, of course)

Default new pictures

I think most is said about this helmet here, but as previous pictures were from the website of the dealer and perhaps a little bit too small, i took these29 today. Lotnumber stays a little bit mysterious for me....2967 ? 2987 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet   EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet  

EF 64 M42 rautarn helmet