Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Experimental M 45 helm

Article about: There is a topic about this helmet : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...45-helmets-67/ --------------------------------------------------------------------- But I need your oppinions abo

Default Experimental M 45 helm

There is a topic about this helmet :

M45 Helmets
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    But I need your oppinions about this exemplaire

Everyone knows that this steel helmet served as the prototype for the helmet of the armed forces of the DDR. The M 45 helmet was not launched into mass production, although it was developed back in 1943. It was used on an experimental basis, as they say, in the last months of the war. Although I did not find a single photo of the Wehrmacht with this helmet.

The DDR helmet from the fifties and seventies repeats the shape of this helmet, only the DDR one had a completely different mount for the liner and, as far as I know, he did not have through holes for fastening the rivets holding the rim. Also, the DDR helmet had a flange, which this type of helmet does not have.

Questions:

- Is this the original sphere M 45 ?

- Is it possible that this is an old alteration of the DDR helmet under the M 45 ?

THANKS !!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Experimental M 45 helm   Experimental M 45 helm  

Experimental M 45 helm   Experimental M 45 helm  

Experimental M 45 helm   Experimental M 45 helm  

Experimental M 45 helm  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Experimental M 45 helm
    P
    Many

As I said in an earlier topic. These are internet hyped up helmet types. Can’t understand the interest in these so called prototypes. All are post war anyway.
    An interesting attempt at an M45B

Quote by samland View Post
    There is a topic about this helmet :

M45 Helmets
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    But I need your oppinions about this exemplaire

Everyone knows that this steel helmet served as the prototype for the helmet of the armed forces of the DDR. The M 45 helmet was not launched into mass production, although it was developed back in 1943. It was used on an experimental basis, as they say, in the last months of the war. Although I did not find a single photo of the Wehrmacht with this helmet.

The DDR helmet from the fifties and seventies repeats the shape of this helmet, only the DDR one had a completely different mount for the liner and, as far as I know, he did not have through holes for fastening the rivets holding the rim. Also, the DDR helmet had a flange, which this type of helmet does not have.

Questions:

- Is this the original sphere M 45 ?

- Is it possible that this is an old alteration of the DDR helmet under the M 45 ?

THANKS !!!!
    In my opinion this is a total fake using a late pattern shell (no external rivits) on which the rim has been rolled out and large liner rivet/split pin holes drilled. We have seen a few of these recently and some are better than others suggesting they are being done by hand in someones basement or shed in the garden! On this one you can clearly see the "rolled out" rim. Also that ET stamp is dreadful and marks no sense.

Concerning the origin of the DDR M56 I would say that the B/II was the inspiration not the prototype in any technical sense.

See this recent thread;

M44 helmet find

Sorry, but if this were genuine it would be VERY valuable!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-08-2021 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    As I said in an earlier topic. These are internet hyped up helmet types. Can’t understand the interest in these so called prototypes. All are post war anyway.
    An interesting attempt at an M45B
    Haha, you beat me to it as I was typing.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one already on the forum this early (0800 hrs here and I have been at work for nearly 2 hours!!!)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Look here my post # 102. The only image of this helmet in the Wehrmacht :

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...1/#post2146172
    Last edited by samland; 02-09-2021 at 08:21 AM.

---------------

Quote by samland View Post
    Look here my post # 102. The only image of this helmet in the Wehrmacht :

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...1/#post2146172
    That link doesn't work for me?

This M44\45 helmet in Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr.773 (September 1944)

For 5.49 minutes, see this helmet here:

Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr. 733 : Die Deutsche Wochenschau : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive