Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)

Article about: Here is a fairly new addition, an early manufacture relatively extreme droop bill shell that has been through the mill. *I think it*is an early piece because there aren't chin strap rivets a

Default Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)

Here is a fairly new addition, an early manufacture relatively extreme droop bill shell that has been through the mill. *I think it*is an early piece because there aren't chin strap rivets above the break between the apron and the dome. *The earlier models were fitted with cheaply made civil liners with the chin straps attached to the liner band. *Over time it became it was recognized that the chin straps often became disengaged from the liner bands. *To address the problem the chin straps were attached directly*to the shell. *This piece has a cheesy civil style liner/chin strap combination that I think may be the original factory installed unit. *Anyway, the interior of the dome is green. *At some point it was a double decal Heer helmet. *Over its service life*the piece was repainted a few times, and at some point the tri*color was painted over. *The maker stamp over the right ear is hard to read, but I think it is "DP". *There are letters on the rear of the apron in pencil that I can't make out. *It has a number of dents and a fair amount of paint loss. *I would prefer that the tri*color *was still there, but double decals WH droop bills are few and far between. *Until I find one as nice as the one Chris has I will be very happy with this one. *Hope you like it. *Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)   Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)  

Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)   Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)  

Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)   Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)
    P
    Many

Jim...any idea what this was originally ? Black Police decaled or non decaled ?

How did these leave the factory as far as color of paint ?

That's a great looking "Droop bill" helmet Jim, certainly looks as though the kids have thrown a few rocks at it! Interesting to see that the National shield drop was adhered to even on this one as well. (these lids do look like Jar Jar binks to me though!!) Leon.

Hi Dave, I took a few shots of the interior in sunlight. The paint in the dome is brushed on, not factory applied. I can't tell what color this one was initially. I have a few extreme droop bills in their original configurations, one is a green RLB, one is a black Luftschutz, and one ihas the anodized grey surface. I have a few DD Police examples that appear to have left the factory painted black, and one grey DD Police that was black, and probably was a no decal SS in its original life as it has the leather chin strap the is also found on SS visors. I don't know of any that left the factory with Heer decals, but who knows?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)   Extreme Droop Bill Single Decal Heer Helmet (Ex DD)  

Here is a Parade SS Droop Bill, a no decal black example, the one with the anodized surface, and the RLB. I'll add a few other droop bills if I can find the pictures. Jim G.

Ignore pictures 3, 4 and 5, I added the wrong pictures. Sorry. Jim G.

Here is the Reverse decal grey Police that was originally a no decal black piece with the SS visor style leather chin strap.

Here is the no decal black droop bill i intended to show in that prior post.

Here is one of the black DD Police pieces. Jim G.

Here is the black L/S piece. These droop bills seem to have been issued mostly to the civic and political organizations. Looking at these pics I hadn't recalled that the RLB and the L/S helmets had been denazified. Guess I am on the hunt for a couple of upgrades. Anyway Dave, these are a few representative examples that evidence the use of these commercial interwar light weight helmets. Jim G.

Just an awesome helmet Jim and with all the examples posted a very very interesting topic.
    Still missing from my infant civic helmet collection ;-)
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast