Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...

Article about: Gentlemen, My son picked up the pictured helmet about four years ago while I was still on active duty and deployed. After finally seeing it a few years ago, and where my son bought it from,

Default First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...

First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...

Gentlemen,

My son picked up the pictured helmet about four years ago while I was still on active duty and deployed.

After finally seeing it a few years ago, and where my son bought it from, I am inclined to think this one may be real.

My son purchased it from Russia on an Ebay auction, which is normally a red flag in my mind. However, the physical condition of this helmet made me give it a closer look.

In the photos attached, you see an M35 helmet with an aluminum liner. The helmet obviously went through a re-paint to a darker field grey at some time and a new Heer decal was applied. A Spanish decal was applied on the right side. The decals look good to my eye and touch/feel.

The entire helmet had a fine coating of old, very fine, grey-ish silt overall, as though it had been in a fresh water bog or swamp for several decades. The helmet had a very distinct "earthy" dirt-like smell. There are several stress cracks in the shell which are pictured, of the type which would be present on a steel helmet which had been sitting in a bog in eastern Europe that was freezing and expanding between summer and winter. The edges, which are pictured, show some chipping of the steel and old rust as though this helmet had been submerged with little to no oxygen effects for a very long time. The decals show fading commiserate to what I would think would be normal for this type of submerged aging, but I've been wrong about things before. The paint was not applied after this thing cracked; it was on there before the cracking occurred.

I would appreciate any opinions you gentlemen might have on this helmet. While I am inclined to think this one might be good, I am also aware that finding a real one is about as likely as getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery. In other words, I am not completely in love with my opinion and welcome any comments.

Thanks and Semper Fi.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First post, and need opinion on a Spanish Blue Division M35...
    P
    Many

Will be interested to hear the outcome of this discussion

I would draw your attention to the thread below that shows some interesting authentic Blau Division relics, including helmets.

The Spanish decal on your example look like a masked off sprayed version rather than a decal or painted shield. The Heer decal also looks strange to me, but I will differ to the decal masters for their own comments.

Blue Division Relics

?

Indeed I am very interested in the outcome as well as these are extremely rare in any condition. Virtually none of these came back home as the Spanish soldiers were required to turn in their kit when discharged home. The Russian angle makes sense but I agree with BlackCat that the decals look strange at best. I hope this turns out well for you.

Regards, Al

Thanks Blackcat. I PM'ed the guy who started the thread on the relic Blue Division helmets and he was kind enough to turn me on to some other resources that will assist in my education. I appreciate everyone's assistance and comments.

Semper Fi.

MAP
    ?

If Saduri is the same guy over on another forum (the furniture looks familiar), then he is probably the most knowledgeable guy I know for these helmets and you will be in good hands.

There are not many people who know a lot about these as they are etremely rare (and faked) and the only ones I've ever seen are rusted relics.

Keep us updated because if original it would be the first non relic I've ever seen.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)