Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Found Desert Camo Under My M40?

Article about: Hello all I decided to take a look under the post war paint on my m40 that I made a post about here a few days ago:http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel-...helmet-739266/ I believe that I have

Default Found Desert Camo Under My M40?

Hello all

I decided to take a look under the post war paint on my m40 that I made a post about here a few days ago:Thoughts On M40 Helmet

I believe that I have found what looks to me like a desert/tan camouflage layer underneath, but I was wondering what some more experienced collectors here think. As andym35 kindly pointed out on the last post, it appears there still may be a decal on the helmet. I have opted to leave the decal covered up with paint for now as I am nervous about destroying it with the acetone I am using.

Any replies are greatly appreciated as I am very much still a newbie in the German helmet world.

Thanks,
    mwesson030

Found Desert Camo Under My M40?Found Desert Camo Under My M40?Found Desert Camo Under My M40?Found Desert Camo Under My M40?Found Desert Camo Under My M40?Found Desert Camo Under My M40?,
    Last edited by mwesson030; 07-24-2019 at 03:23 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found Desert Camo Under My M40?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Hard to tell from the photos if there is a decal. I do see something but the placement is too far to the rear (if that is what I am seeing)

As for the "tan", no telling when it was added. Also, wondering if it is tan or a faded white?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Im having a hard time getting a good picture of what looks like a decal, but in hand it definitely looks like there is something there. As for the placement, it might be the very small size of the helmet that makes it look strange? It is right in line with the vent.

For the tan I suppose that could be the case. Is there any way to tell if it was white at some point? The only layer underneath it seems to be the factory grey/black. Would better photos of the paint help?

It could be a tan paint but as MAP says difficult to be sure when it was applied as the surface is now chemically scrubbed which has removed patina. I think all you could says is possible period paint, but also possible 1970's or 1980's paint.

Map, the image that I saw of the decal in last weeks thread had it positioned bang on and I think it may be the angle of the new photo that is making the positioning look a little off. I'll post it again below.

Found Desert Camo Under My M40?

Good to hear that you are being cautious mwesson030! This could turn out to be a nice discovery or as Anderson said could be more recent paint underneath or perhaps a fake decal. There have been some great examples of paint removal on the forum over the years and some people have actually had it done by a professional. Do a search in the search box and you should find some info. Here's a start for you: Black Painted helmet

Looks to me like a decal is there. As for the paint - i think probably a tan colour but just my opinion from these photos. Very hard to know when it was done.
    Nick

Took some watered down nail polish remover and very delicately tried to remove the paint around the potential decal spot. The good news is there is a decal, but the bad news is that it seems to have been damaged quite a bit before it was painted over. I think I will leave it as is seeing as there is not much left and I don't want to cause any more damage to it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found Desert Camo Under My M40?  

If you take a fuzzy look at it by squinting it appears to be a Heer decal. NH