Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Combat Helmets 1933 - 1945 by Peter J Nash, Review.....

Article about: There is a new helmet book, German Combat Helmets 1933 – 1945 by Peter J Nash. We must warn collectors that this book is full of fake helmets!! Page after page with fake helmets and decals s

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Mr Nash has been discussed and lampooned elsewhere. Sadly we live in a World where many believe only what they see on their computer screen and fail to comprehend that there are other places to research and learn. He is not the first and certainly not the last person to build a babel for himself on Facebook and call himself "an expert". This book is not worth the paper it was printed on.

Those individuals and businesses listed in the acknowledgements should not automatically be held to account as it is entirely possible that they have little or no prior knowledge of being associated with this publication. If they do, then that decision may seem somewhat misguided.
    You are right Oakleaf and Weitze have already have their share in shady dealers topics posted on forums without Peter Nash's help :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Combat Helmets 1933 - 1945 by Peter J Nash, Review.....
    P
    Many

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I cant add anything to the discussion aside from, what kind of person trys to make a historical /reference book using info from Wikipedia?
    What, you mean it is not a highly respected academic research tool used to great effect by renowned authors to validate and give credence to their work?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Bumping this because it is important to reach as many collectors as possible.

Posted on another forum this morning was an "explanation" of the "purpose" for the writing of this book by his son. He goes into the abuse, threats, insults his father has been putting up with since it was released to the public. Basically defending his Dad & stating we will all be sorry for not taking this work seriously. I almost laughed while reading it....I can understand defending one's father. However the truth of the matter is the book is nonsense & one must expect & accept the harsh criticism being given by those who have studied & collected helmets for decades & happen to take it all very seriously.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Posted on another forum this morning was an "explanation" of the "purpose" for the writing of this book by his son. He goes into the abuse, threats, insults his father has been putting up with since it was released to the public. Basically defending his Dad & stating we will all be sorry for not taking this work seriously. I almost laughed while reading it....I can understand defending one's father. However the truth of the matter is the book is nonsense & one must expect & accept the harsh criticism being given by those who have studied & collected helmets for decades & happen to take it all very seriously.
    I read it it was a good laugh.
    Here's a sample of what the son wrote.

My fathers book on helmets actually is pretty well aligned to the great work of Ken N, who has our utmost respect for his hard work, and of course Ludwig Baer, without whom we would all be pretty lost today. Interesting that those that have taken the time to write the books all have a common approach, and theories that are all fairly well aligned. And yet the un regulated forum rants would imply that this is just not the case.

There is zero alignment with the Ken N book , the Ken N book supports the decal vs shell correlation and the Nash book trashes it with fake examples. So it is all lies.

Another excerpt that's just too stupid for words. The helmets are real because they were purchased before fakes supposedly hit the markets. Hello ! A 30 year old collection started in 1988 , it was fakers prime time then. Then he contradicts himself that he can't be absolutely sure about the 300 helmets. Ok so why do you then write an effing book about it ?

For those of you who think that the helmets in the book are cheap Latvian fakes, this cannot be so as all pieces in the book except two were purchased before the mass influx of fakes hit the market. That is to say not only prior to 2003 when we saw the first of these poor quality pieces, but even before the Berlin wall came down. If you think that this is not so, then you have made a mistake.

Can we say for sure that some of these pieces were assembled pre 1946, no, we cannot. Of the 300 or so helmets in the collection there are maybe 6 with firm and indisputable provenance. Pieces that I we have personally obtained from ex servicemen.

MAP
    ?

I saw the same defense! Certainly the book has received harsh criticism as it should but I did not see much character defamation. Maybe on the FB forums...which would not surprise me.

The kicker of this statement is when he says the book is aligned with Ken's work!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I saw the same defense! Certainly the book has received harsh criticism as it should but I did not see much character defamation. Maybe on the FB forums...which would not surprise me.

The kicker of this statement is when he says the book is aligned with Ken's work!!!
    How about when he says "We would all be lost without Baers' book ?"
    I have been collecting helmets for decades & I think once I scanned the Baer book for about 5 minutes. I don't consider myself lost

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Of the 300 or so helmets in the collection there are maybe 6 with firm and indisputable provenance. Pieces that I we have personally obtained from ex servicemen.
    6 out of 300???? ...... 2%?????? ........ and they wrote a book based on 2% confidence???

Glad they aren't my stockbrokers!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    6 out of 300???? ...... 2%?????? ........ and they wrote a book based on 2% confidence???

Glad they aren't my stockbrokers!!!!
    In my line of work, we risk on a 2 Standard Deviation / 95% confidence interval and even then we lose sometimes! LoL

You know what they say Dan "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Maybe the mods can pin this topic ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast