Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German helmet with wire.

Article about: What do you guys think about this one.?

Default German helmet with wire.

What do you guys think about this one.?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German helmet with wire.   German helmet with wire.  

German helmet with wire.   German helmet with wire.  

German helmet with wire.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmet with wire.
    P
    Many

Some frank advice: Avoid helmets with wire attached at all costs, unless you have rock solid provenance that it is authentic. For example, if you were to obtain it from a veteran with a period photograph of him holding it. Or if it was a relic, pulled out of a hole in the ground after seventy years with the wire in place. Otherwise, stay well away.

More often than not, wire is added in an attempt to bump up the price tag of an otherwise bog standard lid. This doesn't mean the helmet itself isn't original, just that it's most likely been messed with postwar by some opportunistic fellow looking to make a little extra cash.

Wired helmets do exist, of course. But as the wire was not factory-standard and more often than not added by the owner in the field, there is pretty much no way to ascertain as to whether it is original to the lid.

Helmets that have had the wire attached for a long time show signs of long term wear. From the photos provided, I see no evidence of rust or rubbing on the underlying paintwork. This is a red flag, and in the case of wired helmets, one is all you need. There's also the possible issue of the price. Original wired helmets with provenance will have a price tag to match, and are typically priced in the thousands as opposed to the hundreds.

In all honesty, I'd recommend starting out with a nice Luftwaffe helmet, or a non-decal M40 or M42. These can be had in good condition for a reasonable amount. They are also much 'safer' than wired helmets. Many helmet collectors, even those with decades of experience, will not risk dealing in lids of this type.

Regards, B.B.

Given that we have all been helping out as much as possible over the recent threads posted by your good self, firstly i ask, "what do you think about this one"? I am sure you are gaining valuable knowledge to start making good opinions, please do not worry about making a mistake, we have all done it when starting out. So, what are your thoughts? Leon.

I agree with you guys on not buying helmets with wire on them as they really can’t be authenticated as original and also like you guys said awhile back if they messed with adding the wire what else did they add. So really the whole helmet is compromised and devalued.

Are all of these helmets coming from the same person/dealer? If the answer is yes then it would seem that a theme is appearing and the theme is "Stay away from this seller".

I don't know the price that is being asked for this lid but I get the feeling you'd get a genuine low end grade helmet for about the same or less.

MAP
    ?

Did you not decide to get that other M40 Luft? I think it's time to take a step back and breath a bit
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yeah we came upon the agreement and I was headed that way this morning to pay for it when someone offered him more for it and he sold it. So yeah I decided to take a step back and relax.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Yeah we came upon the agreement and I was headed that way this morning to pay for it when someone offered him more for it and he sold it. So yeah I decided to take a step back and relax.
    That happened to us all. But not to worry. You will find one. But as said, a bit of a breather is needed. Silly as it sounds, I tend to find that when you are searching for something too hard you make poor decisions. Almost all of my really nice helmets have found me, when I was not looking.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes definitely very very true.

Quote by MAP View Post
    . Almost all of my really nice helmets have found me, when I was not looking.
    also with me I must say!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast