Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Waffen SS police division

Article about: Hi Guys Thinking of bidding on this helmet and would be very grateful to receive your expert views on authenticity.The auction house info says it is marked Q64 and DN182 with”unusual overpai

Default German Waffen SS police division

Hi Guys
    Thinking of bidding on this helmet and would be very grateful to receive your expert views on authenticity.The auction house info says it is marked Q64 and DN182 with”unusual overpainted party decal”
    Cheers
    David
    Ps apologies for quality of photos

German Waffen SS  police divisionGerman Waffen SS  police divisionGerman Waffen SS  police divisionGerman Waffen SS  police division

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Waffen SS  police division
    P
    Many

Default Additional photo

[attach=config]1217683[/attach
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Waffen SS  police division  

Not one to pursue. Nat. decal looks "touched -up", the police eagle is messed with it appears, & the liner is not correct for two reasons I can see. The forehead area of the leather looks "perforated" & there are 9 tongues. Neither feature belong in a QM40 size 64 police helmet.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Not one to pursue. Nat. decal looks "touched -up", the police eagle is messed with it appears, & the liner is not correct for two reasons I can see. The forehead area of the leather looks "perforated" & there are 9 tongues. Neither feature belong in a QM40 size 64 police helmet.
    Not that you need more advice than this from a very experienced collector but I agree for the same reasons. For "unusual overpainted" read "clumsy restoration by someone with no idea" the same applies to the Polizeiadler which looks like somebody tried to make the worn areas look less so but again very clumsily. The liner is clearly perforated at the forehead area which is definately wrong for such a helmet and is probably from a fire helmet.

To be honest as a collectible original this has zero value. As a restoration project using the shell it is not exactly worthless but it would have to be very cheap and some unfortunate individuals will make sure that is not so. Just don't let it be you!

Well done for asking here first.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-05-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

David, it's a joy to read your eagle eyed helmet comments, which are usually in 50 words or less. You packed a lot of observations in those two lines.

Jay

Many ,many thanks for detailed replies.Ive just starting collecting but I have to admit lm getting a little despondent as there seem to be more fakes than genuine articles. I appreciate auction houses can’t be expected to have expert knowledge on all items they sell but the description accompanying this helmet certainly misled me.

“WW2 German Waffen".......helmet,good untouched example retaining much of the original combat paint finish".....”Helmet is complete with the original leather liner having a perforated forehead section complete with the original leather chin strap"......”Good untouched example”

At the moment bids are in excess of £500.Other helmets in the same sale have auction estimates in excess of £2000

In my opinion...been through this many times. If one is to sell on the open market, one should know their product before accepting bids.
    Depending on where you are shopping...there might be more fakes than genuine.
    The images provided by this auction house are just terrible. Lack of quality, lack of care ? When one observes these types of images...usually it's to cover up something or to deceive.

Quote by Tyleriboy View Post
    Many ,many thanks for detailed replies.Ive just starting collecting but I have to admit lm getting a little despondent as there seem to be more fakes than genuine articles. I appreciate auction houses can’t be expected to have expert knowledge on all items they sell but the description accompanying this helmet certainly misled me.

“WW2 German Waffen".......helmet,good untouched example retaining much of the original combat paint finish".....”Helmet is complete with the original leather liner having a perforated forehead section complete with the original leather chin strap"......”Good untouched example”

At the moment bids are in excess of £500.Other helmets in the same sale have auction estimates in excess of £2000
    Don't be despondent. A forum like this is far better than most (with notable exceptions - Ade!) auction houses which might not have the expertise they suggest to their customers. The good stuff is out there and what the collector has to do is spot it from his own knowledge rather than rely on what somebody who claims to know tells him! In most cases one should take advantage of the wealth of knowledge here that is available for the asking if you have chance! Like I said, some poor soul will buy that piece of junk for a stupid price but it won't be you eh?

This exampleis a case in point.

Regards

Marko
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-05-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typ
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

It seems as if the advice from our esteemed Member David has saved you some$$$$.

The amount to become a member is a trivial bit compared to the loss you would have taken if David did not offer his well respected opinion on this helmet.

Just a thought.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I’m so grateful to forum members who have saved me from buying rubbish helmets on two occasions.Although I have read many books and online info nothing can can replace the wealth of experience you guys have.I donate a small amount each time I use your services and would urge others who benefit like me to do likewise
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast