Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer M16 DD transitional, with very early liner

Article about: Gentlemen, Been a while since I've posted anything, so here is a recent acquisition, an M16 transitional double-decal. What I find interesting about this one is the very early liner in fanta

?

Default Heer M16 DD transitional, with very early liner

Gentlemen,

Been a while since I've posted anything, so here is a recent acquisition, an M16 transitional double-decal. What I find interesting about this one is the very early liner in fantastic condition - it is dated 1931! There is a faint stamp in the leather from which I can make out 'Werke A', '66', '1931' and 'Braunschweig'. The leather is ink-stamped to the reverse with 'B' and '57'.

I imagine it was a Reichswehr issue helmet that was then re-issued to the Wehrmacht, whence came its rough (sandy?) brush-stroke green finish and decals. If you look on the interior around the liner band you can see a layer of darker smooth green under the rough paint, which I presume is the original factory finish. Missing a chin-strap, alas. The decals have seen better days but are 90% there, though the eagle has some odd stripey toning to it, with a nice metallic pulver.

Comments and opinions welcome, as always.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M16 DD transitional, with very early liner
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Fantastic helmet. On my phone but the decals look correct from what I can see. Looks to be a grey lined Pocher.

The liner is super! Just amazing condition. Nice early date too!

I suspect the discoloration on the decal to be naturally toned / aged lacquer that was not uniformly applied.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I find the paint interesting - it has a rough/sandy texture like that of later models, but in the earlier green; also the decals are applied over this rough paint, rather than being painted around. My transitional M16 Austrian model that is this basically one's twin (but dated 1938) has the smooth-glossy green finish.

Very nice. These typicalky got a rough overpaint. The way the decals tone is also often seen.

Excellent!

Great example Fiore! Congratulations!!

Andy