Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.

Article about: I'm two days behind David (realsteel) , but I got the first helmet of 2019 in today. It is an ET 62 with lot number 4010 with an extra "8" stamped below the lot number. The size 55

TWS
    ?

Default Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.

I'm two days behind David (realsteel) , but I got the first helmet of 2019 in today.

It is an ET 62 with lot number 4010 with an extra "8" stamped below the lot number. The size 55 liner has shrunk a little and pulled away from the band. Reinforced aluminum liner band is dated 1938. Marked "K R" in the skirt and "K R D" scribbled in pencil in the dome. Original smooth green finish. A friend recently acquired it direct from a veteran's family in Illinois and I just bought it from him. Now for the curious part: It has an unusual replacement chinstrap that is riveted together after looping through the chin strap bales. During my very short in-person examination of the helmet last month, I thought the chinstrap had an "early" look to it. But now that I'm taking a second look, I realized it has an RB number. It also seems the long end was accidentally riveted "upside down" so that the brown tanned finished surface would be against the wearer's chin and the unfinished side out. It certainly exhibits wear, age, and old leather smell appropriate to the rest of the helmet. I haven't cracked the books on this one yet, but intend to do so shortly.
    Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M35 DD. Unusual chinstrap.
    P
    Many

It's nice Todd. Can't comment on the strap. Has it 13 holes ?
    D.

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    It's nice Todd. Can't comment on the strap. Has it 13 holes ?
    D.
    Thanks. No, unlike the standard 13, it has 17 holes. Note in the photo how close the line of holes approach the end of the strap towards the rivet and the bale. Would have been the smallest neck in the universe to buckle it all the way up there. LOL. It could have originally been something else like an equipment strap or who knows what.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Very nice Todd - the decals look fantastic.
    Nick

Quote by TWS View Post
    Thanks. No, unlike the standard 13, it has 17 holes. Note in the photo how close the line of holes approach the end of the strap towards the rivet and the bale. Would have been the smallest neck in the universe to buckle it all the way up there. LOL. It could have originally been something else like an equipment strap or who knows what.
    probably an equipment strap. I see it's wider than a chinstrap.