Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer (?) M35 SD/ex-DD, Q64, in 'Shipboard' or 'Bunker' Grey

Article about: Hello friends, I'm eager for opinions on this latest acquisition: a Heer M35, Q64, lot no. 763, painted in so-called 'shipboard' or 'bunker' grey camouflage. It matches almost exactly with t

?

Default Heer (?) M35 SD/ex-DD, Q64, in 'Shipboard' or 'Bunker' Grey

Hello friends,

I'm eager for opinions on this latest acquisition: a Heer M35, Q64, lot no. 763, painted in so-called 'shipboard' or 'bunker' grey camouflage. It matches almost exactly with two helmets pictured in 'German Helmets 1916-1945' by Jan Meland, as seen in the last two pictures.

As regards the '?' in the thread title: from what I can tell this colour was obviously used aboard ships and in flak bunkers (as per the examples in the book), so primarily by the KM and Luftwaffe - so would the Heer have used such a colour also for service in bunkers, e.g. on the Atlantic front (Normandy etc.)? Another thought occurred to me then, though I have never heard of such a thing: if Heer decals can tone over time to resemble KM decals, could a KM decal fade with exposure to sunlight until it resembles a Heer? I think I can see hints and flecks of gold in this particular decal. Probably a silly notion, but still I wonder.

Overall I like it, the paint looks good, nice patina, a bit messy application under the peak; the decal was either masked off or very carefully avoided when the paint was applied, definitely not exposed later by scraping. There is what seems the presence of a tricolour shield beneath the paint on the other side, so originally a DD. The liner is a reinforced aluminium type, square bales; I cannot make out the maker/date. The rear split-pin is a little loose.

Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer (?) M35 SD/ex-DD, Q64, in 'Shipboard' or 'Bunker' Grey
    P
    Many

Exterior is nice , have you checked the pins of the linerband. Looks very clean to me. Any paint on the rivet heads?

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Exterior is nice , have you checked the pins of the linerband. Looks very clean to me. Any paint on the rivet heads?
    The paint has worn off the three split pins on the outside. Do you mean the rivets that hold the leather to the liner-band?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    The paint has worn off the three split pins on the outside. Do you mean the rivets that hold the leather to the liner-band?
    No the three rivets to check if the band is replaced. Any spillage onto the leather or band pf the grey paint smudges on the inside ?

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    No the three rivets to check if the band is replaced. Any spillage onto the leather or band pf the grey paint smudges on the inside ?
    Will check when I get back home! I'll take some more photos as well.

I like it! It is an Army decal (a Q "big foot') but it does look to me to be period applied "ship board gray" paint. I also like the BB pings on the exterior - no doubt the vet's kid taking some target practice with his Daisy air rifle back i the '50's! Anyway, nice helmet. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

I like the shell/paint. Agree with Frank that the liner needs closer inspection.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

M38
    ?

I like this helmet too, and agree it is definitely Heer, not KM. I too wonder about the liner though. With no matching paint on the rivet heads, that always suggests a liner replacement. The gray paint on the interior brim is unusual too but not necessarily a red flag of any kind. Agree with Frank that there should be traces of gray paint on the band, especially at about the 10 o'clock position where there is a dab of gray right up next to the band. And the liner condition does outshine the condition of the rest of the helmet a bit.

Cheers,
    Terry

?

So I can't see any traces of paint on the liner band or the leather, and the split pins are not quite bent over flush (especially the rear one), so yes, the liner has probably been out at some point. Whether taken out to do the paint job or replaced altogether (broken first-model alu?), or post-war, I guess we'll never know. I can, however, see traces of what seems the same paint on at least on of the split pin exteriors. All in all I'm still happy with it, a nice relatively unusual colour to display alongside the others.

Great looking lid, Fiore. I've always been fond of these ship-grey painted helmets.

Whether or not the shell and liner have always been together or not, it's still a nice piece to be proud of and will display wonderfully. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast