Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer M40 EF64

Article about: In making my selection for MAP's helmet of the year thread, I realized that I hadn't posted this helmet on WRF. I put it on another forum, two actually, back when it arrived. However, for so

TWS
    ?

Default Heer M40 EF64

In making my selection for MAP's helmet of the year thread, I realized that I hadn't posted this helmet on WRF. I put it on another forum, two actually, back when it arrived. However, for some reason, I neglected to make a thread here.

This arrived in May. A helmet, but also much more. It's an EF64 with a field repaint that belonged to Richard Ring, an officer in Artillerie-Regiment 161. Lot number is tough to make out due to the repaint and the name, but appears to be 7346. A neat aspect is that it came with a photo of the officer wearing what is ostensibly the very same helmet (earlier in the war before the field repaint). I was also able to obtain additional documents and a reprinted portrait photo belonging to the officer. The helmet has a shrapnel hit on it and indeed he was wounded by shrapnel on 15 August, 1944. It must have been a serious wound as he was awarded the silver wound badge and spent the rest of the war in various hospitals. His documents bear the signatures of Knight's Cross Wearers Generalmajor Werner Hühner, Generalleutnant Siegfried Hänicke (also Pour le Mérit), and Oberst Franz Scheidies.

Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M40 EF64
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

And some shots of the documents/photos/helmet interior.

Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64Heer M40 EF64
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I remember seeing this one before Todd, perhaps over on GHW and it’s just as memorable now as it was back then. Quite astonishing that you would have a photo of the soldier wearing that very helmet - quite a rare thing I would think. On top of the history attached to it, the helmet has a lot of character. I especially like the overpainted Heer decal - very nicely ghosted. Thanks for showing.

Andy

TWS
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I remember seeing this one before Todd, perhaps over on GHW and it’s just as memorable now as it was back then. Quite astonishing that you would have a photo of the soldier wearing that very helmet - quite a rare thing I would think. On top of the history attached to it, the helmet has a lot of character. I especially like the overpainted Heer decal - very nicely ghosted. Thanks for showing.

Andy
    Thank-you Andy for the kind words. Yes, I did post it on GHW back when it arrived. It is the only helmet in my collection of which I have a period photo of it in wear. Also, I know more about the owner of this helmet than any others - by far.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Thanks for posting it here Todd. A fantastic grouping. Very special. To have a period photo of the helmet is icing on the cake.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice ensemble.