Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help on German Helmet! :) 1939

Article about: Hey all! this is my first post so thank you to any and all help! I recieved this beautiful German Helmet as well as a Canadian one from my grandfather. I will start with the German one howev

Default Help on German Helmet! :) 1939

Hey all!
    this is my first post so thank you to any and all help!
    I recieved this beautiful German Helmet as well as a Canadian one from my grandfather. I will start with the German one however. I believe it is an M40, 1939 (as marked by the leather maker on the chin strap), and I think it is possibly a kreigsmarine Helmet as there is clearly a badge removed from the other side, I assume it was a tri colour? The Helmet is an ET64 in size and is number 4207. The main question I have is the Lepsien on the leather, is that a name? Ive ben trying to find info with no avail. If anyone has any info, on either the helmet or the name id be so very happy!
    Thank you all so much and best wishes from Canada
    Help on German Helmet! :) 1939Help on German Helmet! :) 1939Help on German Helmet! :) 1939Help on German Helmet! :) 1939

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help on German Helmet! :) 1939
    P
    Many

The helmet is a 1939 made M35 that very well could be a KM. Nat. decal removed which is often seen on these. Can you read a dome stamp ? Need close up of decal in full, clear detail to confirm it is KM. Also...the strap looks original..is it maker marked & dated Loberg 1939 ?
    D

The tricolour decals were placed on all helmets until 1940, when they were removed for camouflage purposes. The tricolour was no longer placed on new helmets, and many helmets that already had the decals had them scraped off or painted over. If the vent holes are stamped, it's an M40. If they are made up of separate riveted pieces, it's an M35. The name on the liner would indeed be the owner's surname.

I'm unable to help any further, as I'm still very much a novice in the area of helmet collecting. I expect our resident helmet boffins will want close-up, straight-on pictures of the decal to aid in authentication. From my perspective, it looks like a good Kriegsmarine helmet.

EDIT: One of WRF's resident helmet gurus beat me to the punch!

Regards, B.B.

Well B.B.
    Seems IMO you are "spot on" with your analysis of this helmet.
    D

Default Few more pictures

Thanks so much for the help! And yes, the strap stamp says G. Schielle Luburg 1939. I included a close up of the logo as well as the stamp in the middle which I believe says 56? I hope these pictures are good enough, my phone camera is the only one i have.
    Thanks again for all your help !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on German Helmet! :) 1939   Help on German Helmet! :) 1939  

It's a good KM. The "Loberg" strap 1939 dated is often seen on the M35 KM helmets. They held a large contract with the ET M35 KM helmets, similar to the "R. Larsen 1938" we frequently see on M35 NS police helmets of 1938 vintage. One can also observe the "stacking" of the gold eagle over the black field.

Good for you, the decal damage is annoying & a liability, but at least it is a good one
    D.

MAP
    ?

Overall a very nice helmet but as David says, too bad the damage to the decal.

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like KM decals chip like this more often then their Heer equivalents.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Really nice helmet - the paint and liner are superb. A bit annoying on the decal, but at least it's a good KM.
    Nick

Very nice helmet. We cannot say what happened to the owner, we can only surmise.

However for your thoughts there were 13 Lepsien named individuals on the Volksbund database. However only one with a clearly KM rank.

Nachname:Lepsien
    Vorname:Kurt
    Dienstgrad:Matrose
    Geburtsdatum:31.01.1916
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:07.03.1943

Really nice gift from your Grandfather .....
    Excellent research Blackcat1982

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast