Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying German helmet

Article about: Hello all, I'm new on here and new to German helmets and I was wondering if someone could give me some info on what sort of a helmet I've got? I'm sure it's not a German WW2 but I can't find

Default Help identifying German helmet

Hello all,
    I'm new on here and new to German helmets and I was wondering if someone could give me some info on what sort of a helmet I've got? I'm sure it's not a German WW2 but I can't find any that are like it on the net. It's the shape of an M40 but has no rivets, the lining (which looks quite new) is held in by a single bolt in the crown of the helmet. Someone has obviously painted it to look like Afrika Korps and the decal looks very fake. The marking next to the shell size is interesting and I hope the photos show it clear enough, it looks like a logo with the letters LS inside two circles. Could it be a Finnish M55 or Spanish? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. I was planning to use it to practise reconditioning by drilling some holes for rivets and having a go at painting, but before I go ahead and butcher it I thought I should seek some advice.

Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying German helmet   Help identifying German helmet  

Help identifying German helmet   Help identifying German helmet  

Help identifying German helmet   Help identifying German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying German helmet
    P
    Many

post war west german

Welcome to the forum Tommywal, it is indeed a post war German helmet that has had an over paint and fake decal . There are others here who will give you a more details about this type of helmet. Leon.

West German M53 helmet indeed.

Thank you all!

Quote by Tommywal View Post
    Thank you all!
    No problem its what we are all here for and I forgot to say Welcome to the forum

To those that are familiar with these post war lids I would have to ask, are these collectible? I would imagine so.

In that case, should Tommywal be advised against drilling holes in this shell?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    To those that are familiar with these post war lids I would have to ask, are these collectible? I would imagine so.

In that case, should Tommywal be advised against drilling holes in this shell?
    In There own way they might be the inside paint looks original so I would advise strip down the fake repaint but don't drill holes in.

Point taken. The thought did cross my mind that if I wanted to mess around making a replica then there would be easier and cheaper ways to do that trash a perfectly good helmet. Is it possible to remove just the layer of beige paint? I'm thinking a thin application of paint stripper?