Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Help me kill some ignorance

Article about: Heer and Km helmets are painted the same . Factory M35 Kms only are ET so far . KM decals are difficult to identify based on few more or less good pics but depending the decal maker , you ca

Dieter
    ?

Default Re: Help me kill some ignorance

Hello,
    My cousin was in the Kriegsmarine during the war. I remember we met up when I was on leave (In Denmark). His tunic and helmet insignia were gold in color. I thought it was rather hansome (far better looking than my army insignia). I dont know about ridges or any specifics like that, but if my memory serves me right that looks like a Kriegamarine helmet. But as a word of caution I would take the advice of someone who knows the specifics right down to the ridges. After all we were just thankful to have something solid covering our heads when the shells started flying.

Dieter

2. # ADS

I think that the words 'Border' or 'edging' are better terms to use instead of 'Ridges'........

Thanks for posting, Dieter !
    Do you have any photos of yourself that you wouldn't mind sharing with us ?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Here is a typical ET example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me kill some ignorance  

During the combat experience I know that we repainted items. Did the germans re decal when some got messed up. Or did they scrape the old off and reapply, or simply paint over them?

Bob

Quote by ncblksmth1 View Post
    During the combat experience I know that we repainted items. Did the germans re decal when some got messed up. Or did they scrape the old off and reapply, or simply paint over them?

Bob
    In fact , depending the period , factories or depots reissued/refurbished helmets with all these possibilities On the field , it's pretty much the same even if soldiers usualy painted over when they camouflaged helmets (painted around are rarer) . For camo purpose or per regulation , you also can simply see scratched decals . Lastly , you can find reapplied decals by soldiers themselves but it's the rarest cases

Quote by Ken B. View Post
    Here is a typical ET example
    And here's a fake one..............

Scary eh?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me kill some ignorance   Help me kill some ignorance  

Dieter
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I think that the words 'Border' or 'edging' are better terms to use instead of 'Ridges'........

Thanks for posting, Dieter !
    Do you have any photos of yourself that you wouldn't mind sharing with us ?
    Hello,
    Yes I agree, Edging would be a better term.
    Concerning the pictures the one on my profile is of me (I am on the left). I plan to upload some more pictures of myself when a put them on my computer. My son and daughter just bought me a new computer for my birthday and I am in the process of updating it (with their help).

Thanks,
    Dieter

Dieter
    ?

Quote by francis006 View Post
    In fact , depending the period , factories or depots reissued/refurbished helmets with all these possibilities On the field , it's pretty much the same even if soldiers usualy painted over when they camouflaged helmets (painted around are rarer) . For camo purpose or per regulation , you also can simply see scratched decals . Lastly , you can find reapplied decals by soldiers themselves but it's the rarest cases
    Hello
    The decal insignia on the helmet was required for barracks inspection but unfortunately made an excellent target for those damned snipers! So we scratched them off, or like you have mentioned, painted over them. If you were stationed at the rear this was not so much the case. If a unit was relocated, say to Warsaw or Paris, all soldaten would be required to repaint over camoflauge and re-apply insignia. To answer the original question; yes we did re-apply but only if the situation required. My unit only did this twice. Unfortunately most of the time we were in combat.
    Regards,
    Dieter

Quote by Dieter View Post
    Hello,
    Yes I agree, Edging would be a better term.

Thanks,
    Dieter
    Ridge might not be the best word but it is the one used by the helmet collectors community for years , sorry I didn't decide first for info . in France we usualy call it "bordure " which is edging

About decals , as I said , per regulation you had to scratch or hidden them like factories did , Tricolor in 40 etc .....so after soldiers had to follow the rule or not depending if they were in direct combat situation . On the frontline ,as you said , they surely did it fast as they were ordered even if the latest order from 43 wasn't strictly adhered to !!

Dieter could you tell me when you reapplied them and what were the decals (eagle I suppose , not the tricolor) ?
    Last edited by francis006; 08-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Ok so the decals were reapplied. Is that were the "ridges" come from. Were the original decals thick with the ridges or were they the dark gold color or was that painted then overlayed with a covering?

I guess what I'm asking is What do pristine Kriegsmarine Decals look like. Does anyone have on either on an unissued helmet or in a sheet ready to be applied?

Bob

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4