Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

An interesting attempt at an M45B

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I ran across this while running around on the net today. I can plainly see that the leather liner was "painted" with some sort of stain to make it look old. But wh

Default An interesting attempt at an M45B

Hello Gentlemen,

I ran across this while running around on the net today. I can plainly see that the leather liner was "painted" with some sort of stain to make it look old. But what about the rest of it? I know that information on these (much less the helmets themselves) is obscure. Could it reasonably fool anybody?

An interesting attempt at an M45BAn interesting attempt at an M45BAn interesting attempt at an M45BAn interesting attempt at an M45B

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An interesting attempt at an M45B
    P
    Many

The fact is nobody knows , for me these helmets are not interesting and I do not know any advanced collections that have them. I think there is an internet humped up fascination for these helmets.
    Last edited by Schwerpunkt; 02-03-2021 at 11:15 AM.

I have absolutely no faith in these at all.
    For me, the presence of the turned rim and no sign of external rivits confirms that this is a late pattern DDR shell that has been "pimped up".

Such a rim is formed when the shell in drawn not afterwards (technically it would seem all but impossible to create the rim after drawing unlike the rolled rim of the M35 which is turned in on the shell, this would be very difficult to acheive with "machine-like" uniformity. It could however, be rolled flat with some degree of success but would still look wrong as we have seen in other examples.

I would be interested in knowing what these are selling for as they are worth only curisosity price!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-08-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."