Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting M-42 ND - ID'd - Wire - Battle Damage

Article about: So anyone reading the title probably has red flags popping out all over right about now. I got this from a friend of mine who got it at auction in a lot for very little. He took what he want

Default Interesting M-42 ND - ID'd - Wire - Battle Damage

So anyone reading the title probably has red flags popping out all over right about now. I got this from a friend of mine who got it at auction in a lot for very little. He took what he wanted from the lot and I wound up with this guy for the princely sum of $75 USD. Now, I have read the forums for some time now and I know as soon as someone says "wire" the guy next to him yells "fake!" I also know the general feel of the forum with beater M42's being turned into wires... Dare I say, this one looks alright to me. In fact, I am pretty confident in the wire. It's a pretty simple set up, a ring around the exterior under the split pins with a single wire over the top to hold that band up. There is a bullet hole coming in from the wearer's 7 o'clock and it goes through the liner and a dent is visible on the exterior at the 11 o'clock. The liner looks right and looks like it has been in there forever. The chinstrap does not appear to be a standard German chinstrap. It has 13 holes, but has a chamois lining and is knotted on one side. I know from reviewing German Helmet Vault that M42's sometimes had odd chinstraps and that site does in fact show a similar knotted chinstrap. The liner has a name at the wearer's 4 o'clock. It appears to read: "Uffz. Karl Loffler". I don't see a maker and the lot number is only three numbers, but I am not sure what they are.

So my questions:

What type of chinstrap is this/where is it from?
    What is/does "Uffz" stand for?
    Can the man be researched?

Thank you
    ABN

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting M-42 ND - ID'd - Wire - Battle Damage
    P
    Many

?

Uffz could equal Unteroffizier..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

M38
    ?

Looks like a legitimate and untouched example to me. To answer your questions: 1) That is a late war chinstrap that is made of two pieces of leather sandwiched together. Not often seen (I have only one) but real. Constructed almost like paratrooper helmet chinstraps. 2) Uffz stands for Unteroffizier which is a rank. 3) It may be researchable since you have a full name but someone else will have to tell you the process.

This could probably clean up some - mitigate the rust and soften the leather - but most collectors prefer their helmets "untouched".

Well worth the price you paid even in this rather poor condition. Can't tell for sure what the shell maker is, possibly EF. The good news is, I believe the wire is an original wartime application. That damage to the shell is more than a bullet hole, more likely a large shell fragment/shrapnel.

Cheers,
    Terry

MAP
    ?

On my cell phone, but fom what I can see I like the chances of the wire being good
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I like this helmet very much for its salty untouched look with an overall commensurate appearance. I also feel that some of your observations are spot on, particularly with how basic the wire setup is which gives this one a little more credence. Often we see elaborate wire basket constructions created to impress. Although we can’t ever be 100% certain with wire unless some form of provenance is provided, this one gives me the impression of it more likely to be original than not.

Andy

TWS
    ?

Believable example. Uffz. most definitely stands for "Unteroffizier" - his rank.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Agree with what's been said. Good, untouched helmet with a very real possibility for having it's original wartime wire. The rust and overall patina of the wire certainly seem to match the helmet, and even the wire attachment points look similar to other period correct examples I've seen. I like this one. Excellent find with high potential, I think.

Thank you for the help. I agree that it could be cleaned up, but I generally shy from that. I was not aware that there's a late war multi-piece chinstrap. Learn something new all the time. Thank you ABN