Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

Article about: An odd title for a thread I know - and I was torn where to post this - but as the subject matter is helmets, I thought here was best. I came across this You Tube original training video http

Default just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

An odd title for a thread I know - and I was torn where to post this - but as the subject matter is helmets, I thought here was best.

I came across this You Tube original training video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbfffbVi3gs called " know your enemy 1944" and within it starts to describe the uniform of the German enemy using costumed soldier / actors.

The helmets are described with the identifying decals and I was quite amused ......

just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water! just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

Now, imagine stumbling upon one of these helmets in 2015!! ....... it would immediately be dismissed as a poor fakers attempt at a DD ( on an M42 no less ) and maybe even a fake, made-up helmet, who knows?

So there guys n' gals ..... just when you thought it was safe, the truth often is stranger than we think!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!
    P
    Many

Hi Dan, thanks for that, I have never seen this video before, but from time to time I have seen these training helmets turn up here in the UK.

Yes Leon it is possibly even a pressed cardboard gizmo,tbut I would have thought they could have used some Tunisian surrendered helmets - or did the Americans grab all them?

I suppose though it's collectable in its own right!

Cheers, Dan

A good friend of mine who is liquidating his collection has one of the Brit made "German" helmets used to train British soldiers. The shell, of a thinner gauge steel than a German combat shell, was made in England and up close would never be confused for a real German piece, but the purpose was to acclimate the soldier to the general contour of the Kraut headgear from a distance, so it didn't have to be perfect. The liner is a make shift contraption, nothing like a real M31 liner. If I recall correctly, the insignia are also painted, but are a bit better than the ones on the thread starter. He has a reasonable price tag on it and I have been tempted. If I take the plunge I'll post it. Cheers, Jim G.

That would be nice to see Jim!

Cheers, Dan