Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KM M42 - strange liner for opinions

Article about: Hello friends, I would be interested in your considered opinions on the liner of this KM M42 (EF6?, 3662) I have. To me it most closely resembles a Luftschutz style of liner. It has that odd

?

Default KM M42 - strange liner for opinions

Hello friends,

I would be interested in your considered opinions on the liner of this KM M42 (EF6?, 3662) I have. To me it most closely resembles a Luftschutz style of liner. It has that odd orange foam one finds in civil liners, and in the sweatbands of peaked caps, for example. Could a military M42 have had a civil liner added in war-time? Most strangely of all, it had a pad added to the crown via four 'arms' extending from the liner-band, said pad appears to be made of some kind of snake or other reptile skin.

Of course, it could just be some kind of weird post-war replacement.

Appreciate any help you guys can give.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM M42 - strange liner for opinions
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

"Of course, it could just be some kind of weird post-war replacement."

I think this sums it up pretty well. Civil type liner added post war most likely. Could we see the rest of the helmet too? Especially the decal?

Cheers,
    Terry

?

Quote by M38 View Post
    "Of course, it could just be some kind of weird post-war replacement."

I think this sums it up pretty well. Civil type liner added post war most likely. Could we see the rest of the helmet too? Especially the decal?

Cheers,
    Terry
    No decal I'm afraid. I only know it's Kriegsmarine because I got it directly from the veteran's family, who told me the man's story. It had sat in the basement basically since the end of the war. He had kept it as a sort of 'lucky charm', given that he survived his tour of duty. They never mentioned the liner being replaced, but then again they had no real interest in this stuff anyway - they gave it to me on 'extended loan' when I expressed an interest (essentially let me have it for nothing).

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KM M42 - strange liner for opinions  

MAP
    ?

Just be careful of family stories. Most times they are incorrect or over time has strayed far from the original story.

This helmet is post war messed with. Paint and liner. I don't see why the Vet would do that to his "Lucky Charm" helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)