Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please

Article about: Bought this helmet as part of a general convolute. At first I thought its a Feuerwehr helmet, then looking the liner over, I didn't find any trace of leather tabs for holding the neck shield

?

Default Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please

Bought this helmet as part of a general convolute. At first I thought its a Feuerwehr helmet, then looking the liner over, I didn't find any trace of leather tabs for holding the neck shield, then I thought police, however I believe police helmets didn't have a head cushion inside them. The only mark I could see is the number 59 on the liner near the green paint spot. Looking into the helmet, the liner band has a grey felt cover (photo 6). What do members think ? maybe Landschutz, could they tell me what type of model the helmet is and who may have used it.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please   Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please  

Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please   Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please  

Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please   Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please

No tabs for a neck flap on the liner so I would say Police, not Fire. Also, it looks like there may have been decals on the sides that have been removed. Many WWII civil helmet liner styles had dome pads, but the liner on this one does not have the perforations in the front, which were in most WWII civil liners. Also, the cork spacers look like they are round. If so, it it is a WWII pot that was relined for post war use, which was very common with these civil style helmets. If the spacers are square, I think it is possible that the piece has all WWII vintage components, but I am not sure. In either event, I really like this style M34, and this one is a nice one that was used. Jim G.

PS - I don't know how I missed it, but I just noticed the metal liner band and squared "d" rings. The liner is not WWII vintage. Also, the chin strap is crudely constructed. Whether it was a post war refurb for official use or jury rigged by a collector I don't know, but I still like the piece. These are my favorite M34 style helmets, Austrian made if I recall correctly. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 02-09-2012 at 01:58 PM.

?

Default Re: Landschutz, Feuerwehr or Police Helmet - Opinions Please

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for the informative post, I thought the thread had died at birth. Gave the helmet another closer look-over, to be honest I can't see any faint traces of decals. The cork spacers are indeed round, to recap you say police m34 WW2 pot with a post war lining. One point Jim, why do you think its Austrian - no makers mark stamps on the shell?
    Again thanks for the help.