Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler

Article about: I acquired this one from Chris Jones over 20 years ago. It is a very late War M42, a CKL64, lot number 5586, complete with liner and chin strap. I bought it because of the subdued Adler deca

Default Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler

I acquired this one from Chris Jones over 20 years ago. It is a very late War M42, a CKL64, lot number 5586, complete with liner and chin strap. I bought it because of the subdued Adler decal. I know these are controversial on late War M42’s but I think this one has a slim chance. The helmet appears to have actually seen some War time use and does not appear to me to be one of those mint unissued M42’s “liberated” from that rail road car we all have seen in that famous picture. The liner shows some wear and sweat stains and the chinstrap has been shortened. The bird shows some wear as well. Has it been on the piece since ‘45? Who knows? But to me it doesn’t matter since I like it and intend to keep it. Anyway, here it is - have at it! Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler   Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler  

Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler   Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler  

Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler   Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler  

Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler
    P
    Many

Another picture of the bird.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War M42 - CKL64 - Lot# 5586 - Controversial Subdued Green Luftwaffe Adler  

I think this one probably was post war applied Jim. That late in the war in does not make sense , the one on the beaded one I like. I have seen a couple of helmets with green adler.

No argument here Frank. I am confident that the decal was made during the War but have to agree that the bird was probably applied post War. Due to the wear of the helmet, I do think it was issued and saw some War time service. This suggests to me that it is possible, however unlikely, that the decal was applied during the War, but the overwhelming odds are against it. It does look nice, none the less, and I will leave the decal intact and will keep the helmet. My other 2 with the subdued Luft birds are, on the other hand, 100% correct and the decals War time applied in my opinion. Cheers, Jim G.

I don’t know enough about helmets to weigh in on authenticity of a decal mate, but that is a beauty of a helmet none the less. The fact that it shows as much wear as it does is fascinating, I bet it saw some bloody last ditch fighting :O

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    No argument here Frank. I am confident that the decal was made during the War but have to agree that the bird was probably applied post War. Due to the wear of the helmet, I do think it was issued and saw some War time service. This suggests to me that it is possible, however unlikely, that the decal was applied during the War, but the overwhelming odds are against it. It does look nice, none the less, and I will leave the decal intact and will keep the helmet. My other 2 with the subdued Luft birds are, on the other hand, 100% correct and the decals War time applied in my opinion. Cheers, Jim G.
    Yes for sure a wartime decal.

Whoever applied it then knew a bit about what shell and other features of the helmet would go with that particular decal. The brown Luft strap, paint colour etc. interesting that there is an application floor that you would think wouldn’t have as much chance of occurring post war in the comfort of someone’s home.

Anyway, the decal is nice and looks like it’s just hovering over the paint in the long shots.

Thanks for showing.

Andy