Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Legitimate Heer Helmet?

Article about: I've been trying to find a helmet for awhile now and I had a friend come across one that he believes is real. With how good fakes are now a days, I'd thought I'd post it here to get a quick

Default Legitimate Heer Helmet?

I've been trying to find a helmet for awhile now and I had a friend come across one that he believes is real. With how good fakes are now a days, I'd thought I'd post it here to get a quick second opinion from you much more knowledgeable folks. Sorry for only having such few photos, that's all I was sent. I'm trying to get more but at the moment this is what I got. Hope it's enough. Thank you in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Legitimate Heer Helmet?   Legitimate Heer Helmet?  

Legitimate Heer Helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Legitimate Heer Helmet?
    P
    Many

Looks like a decent original M40 to me. The shell, paint and liner look fine, but I can't comment on the decal. The wear looks convincing enough, but I'd wait for our local helmet experts before making any final decisions. Some fake decals are very convincing these days, and there are originals on the market which some unscrupulous individuals have applied postwar.

The chinstrap is also missing, which could be a talking point on the price if it turns out to be original and you decide to purchase it.

Regards, B.B.

As far as I could tell, I couldn't see any red flags. I'm far from experienced when it comes to decals though. I did notice the liner string looks replaced, looks like a boot lace or something like that. I noticed too that the chin strap is missing. The seller is asking $325 for it.

The drawstring looks alright to my eyes. Comparing it to the one fitted to my own M42, it looks virtually identical.

Legitimate Heer Helmet?

If it turns out to be legit, that is a very good price. But if something is too good to be true in this hobby, it often is. Worth waiting for further opinions on this one, but I am fairly confident. Only the decal feels 'off' to me.

Regards, B.B.

Thank you for pointing that out, it does look just like yours now that I have something to compare it to. i appreciate your input, I'm very much still learning! I agree, that's why I'm posting it here to have it verified before buying, fakes can be pretty convincing unfortunately, especially for a new buyer like myself.

Quote by HRR2448 View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out, it does look just like yours now that I have something to compare it to. i appreciate your input, I'm very much still learning! I agree, that's why I'm posting it here to have it verified before buying, fakes can be pretty convincing unfortunately, especially for a new buyer like myself.
    I'm only just starting to get to grips with German helmets myself. There are many experienced collectors here who have contributed their knowledge to this forum. You're in the right place to learn!

B.B.

The helmet looks like it was cleaned and maybe had a black paint that was removed, notice the black paint above the decal to the right of the vent.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Agree..Looks scrubbed. HKP/SE M40 typically have a very heavy textured factory paint on their M40's. This looks as though the texture has been eliminated through cleaning or as Marty notes, an over paint removal. Other than that everything appears original
    D.

I agree a scrubbed one , I'd leave it where it is.

So at some point, it was repainted and then cleaned of the newer coat applied. So the decal is not original. Is that correct? Thank you for all the input. I originally took my offer back because I did notice an odd border around the decal but wasn't sure if it was a lighting issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast