MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M-34 Helmet with Cape

Article about: Hello all, I found this M34 (Feuerschutzpolizei?) helmet at my local flea market hiding amongst some biker and horse riding helmets an older lady was selling. I got it for a very good price

Default M-34 Helmet with Cape

Hello all, I found this M34 (Feuerschutzpolizei?) helmet at my local flea market hiding amongst some biker and horse riding helmets an older lady was selling.
    I got it for a very good price as she didn't seem to realise what it was.
    I've been meaning to get more into Stahlhelms as I mostly collect Mauser bayonets so I think this is good helmet as I slowly work to get one with a decal.
    The liner and cape are in very good condition the only damage being a part of the chinstrap being torn off and a scratch on the top of the helmet.
    The initials PR are on the liner and is of a 9 finger glued rear construction. It seems the parts connecting the top pad to the liner are made of cardboard of some sort.
    The stamp in the rear is for 'Eisenhuettenwerke Thale A.G., Thale /Harz' I believe? Correct me if wrong.

I am not sure if they put decals on all of these helmets or if someone might have taken the decal off this helmet at some point.

Any replies, insight, or advice is greatly appreciated!

M-34 Helmet with Cape M-34 Helmet with Cape

M-34 Helmet with Cape
    Last edited by Mordecai; 12-04-2023 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-34 Helmet with Cape
    P
    Many

M34 helmets have been (still are) intensively used as fire fighter helmets all over Europe after WW2.
    And your helmet does look post war repainted and refurbished to me.

It does appear there might be a second layer of paint, almost looks as if there was a layer of black paint that dried with a piece of cloth on it to give it a sort of texture in some places.
    I am not positive about the liner though, are there any (War dated) Civic liners that used Felt sewn onto cardboard?
    I would be inclined to believe the liner is post war just based on the condition of the liner altogether but I have no idea.

Appreciate the response!

The liner is wartime , I think even the paint could be. They came as no decal and double decal examples. Donald knows these examples best.

Civic liner systems – German Helmet Vault

just tuned into this thread..I agree with Frank, these are late period helmets and often come without decals and the celluloid strap (either clear or black). Yours in leather or simulated leather are also found in period (NS era) examples. Felt (gray) is commonly found in war-time civilian liners, so no problem there. An orange foam rubber was also commonly used (most today are fragile and rock hard). I believe the paint to be period as well, overall IMO a nice no decal late war period fire helm.

Thank you all very much! I figured the liner looked wartime (Using Franks GHV as reference), but I wasn't sure if there were any post war liners that were refurbished to look similar to war manufactured liners, the slightly textured paint also puzzled me a tad.
    Overall I am very thrilled that this appears to be original and intact as I only paid 80$.
    I do hope to find a decal helmet eventually, I appreciate War Relics, German Helmet Walhalla, and German Helmet Vault for all the information and references!
    Last edited by Mordecai; 12-07-2023 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Re edited.

MAP
    ?

Late to the thread. Nice helmet and kudo's to Frank and Don. These civil helmets always stump me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)