Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-42 Camo wire

Article about: Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy this M-42 With a camouflage wire. I think the wire could be original to the helmet as it seems there’s rust marks where the wire has rubbed the helmet.

Default M-42 Camo wire

Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy this M-42 With a camouflage wire. I think the wire could be original to the helmet as it seems there’s rust marks where the wire has rubbed the helmet. I have not really looked into wire helmets as I’ve learned from you guys that they are popular in reproductions but this one has a really nice look to it. Let me know your guys’ opinions please (Aslo invested in one on Ken’s books and will be here Tuesday it set me back money wise more than I’d like to admit for a book lol but like you guys said if I’m going to be a serious collector and enjoy it I need to invest in learning so that’s what I’ve done) Also He’s working on getting better/ clearer photos. One more thing to add this seems to be a low batch number EF it should have a decal right unless scrapped off.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-42 Camo wire   M-42 Camo wire  

M-42 Camo wire   M-42 Camo wire  

M-42 Camo wire  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-42 Camo wire
    P
    Many

Thought the soldier with the dog was a pretty cool picture and added some history lol. Also does anyone know any good documentaries to watch about German soldiers.?

Wired helmets are another minefield not unlike that presented by painted camos in that they are very often faked. Interesting that the seller hasn’t provided any closeups of the contact points so that you can check for oxidisation between the shell and wire. You’ll definitely need these so that experienced members can make a fair assessment. Does the helmet come with any providence? And I hope he’s not been storing the helmet on that foam head. These things release a gas over time which is destructive to leather.

In the meantime have a look at Schwerpunkt’s site: German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets

Also look at The Online Guide to World War II German Helmets

There is some great information on both sites regarding wired helmets.

From these photos who knows if the wire belongs with the lid, but with the wire being coiled like that it'd only hold pretty thick branches securely.

Dark photos, no close ups of the wire, it's a lottery. But I personally would want provenance, such as the seller being a veteran family, for any wired helmet.

I personally would leave it alone .... There’s far more decent Helmets to be had without all the fancy wire bits, and Camo splodges ... these helmets are a minefield trying to distinguish what’s right or wrong. Unless it is 100% clear where it can from, then leave it.

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    I think the wire could be original to the helmet as it seems there’s rust marks where the wire has rubbed the helmet.
    ...or the rust marks have been created any time in the last 75 years. Very difficult to determine which.
    Personally I don't find this helmet visually appealing - authentic or not - so it would not be one for me.
    nick

Thank you guys! He also said that the helmet Came from the Vets Family who brought it back and has been in his collection since.

Giants it does appear you’d like this helmet to add to your collection.
    Because the Dealer states it came from a Vets family ( appears they all say that ) and it’s been in his personal collection for years .... doesn’t make it a good one.
    Not for me.
    It looks more like the cap prisoners wear before being electrocuted!!
    Attached Images Attached Images M-42 Camo wire 

MAP
    ?

Without direct indisputable vet provenance, never buy a wire. And never pay more than the value of the helmet (without the wire).

While I enjoy camo helmets (despite their difficulty in authenticating) I stay far away from wire helmets. 99 out of 100 are fake

And as noted above, these photos are terrible
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast