Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 Cutout Helmet?

Article about: Hello Forum, i have come across this helmet at a local antique shop - it seems to be an M18 cutout. Sadly the outside is modern grey overpainted. The Inside looks to be black in the skirt (I

Default M18 Cutout Helmet?

Hello Forum,

i have come across this helmet at a local antique shop - it seems to be an M18 cutout. Sadly the outside is modern grey overpainted. The Inside looks to be black in the skirt (I could not find the ET mark) and grey behind the liner. There is a rather small hole in the middle of the dome. Next to it is the manufacturer Code starting with an R. To me it seems like it could be a demilitarized helmet that found use in the fire police? I would like your Opinions! All help and Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Cutout Helmet?
    P
    Many

Good shell, the inside looks good also except repainted.

Based on these images I feel this one is likely a good one with the ET in Gothic script hidden under the paint. Most dome stamps on these start with an R for rolling mill Stahlwerk Röchling,Volkingen. It’s also a size 64 which ticks another box. Pads are correct chrome tanned for this helmet and look original. Can’t comment on why it’s been painted, but the black on the inside certainly look older than the outside paint.

Andy

Nice find, a pity about the outside paint. I wonder if the black paint had been removed by a previous owner, only to find nothing and scraped to bare metal and repainted in the grey? The outside surface appears quite smooth given the age and might suggest such a scenario?

Update - i bought it as the price was really low. Here are some updated pictures.

M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?

So, the paint behind the liner is definitly some original paint - compared with the only other WW1 config M18 cutout i have found on the forum, chinstrap, paint and liner are a match.
    The stamp on the inside reads R1795, and there also seem to be some Initials in pencil inside.

The skirt and the outside are a bit more misterious - the black paint seems old and could be from the 40´s or earlier, similar to SS or firepolice helmets of the period, all firepolice reissue helmets i have seen hoewever had the liner replaces for a different one.

The outside is definitly modern - painted in the last 30~ years but after the hole was punched inside it, evident by how the paint covers it, in some spots the grey flakes off and reveals some green looking paint, similar to WW2 and WW1 german. In some other spots the grey was not applied correctly and thus reveals a black layer of paint directly underneath it... definitly interesting.

Another thing to note, is that the Split Pins are wrong, there is not the bigger pin in the rear as would be expected, but rather a flat one.

You need to tell me the antique stores you frequent! Nice find.

Update: As i´ve noticed i can remove the grey paint with my fingernails, i decided to try o remove it completly - with a lot of sucess.
    It turns out it is an really Early WW2 Transitional helmet. Someone indeed tried to remove the black paint but gave up - although there is a lot of Original Paint left - aswell as both the Tricolor and the Eagle Decal.

I will for now remove the grey paint and then see what i will do further, i am not sure how and if i will remove the black one over the decals. Personally i would have never removed the black paint - but as someone already has started, i may aswell finish the job. I will leave the Inside definitly untouched though.

M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?M18 Cutout Helmet?

That’s a great pickup Adravor! The fact that it retains its original WW1 pads is a bonus as most as you already know, were replaced. Here’s a post on the removal of paint from a post war painted KM helmet that turned out quite nicely. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Kreigsmarine M35 - Before & After Post War Paint Removal

If you got it for a good price then you have indeed done very well. Right place right time!

Oh it was a fantastic price - 200 bucks...
    The Dealer normally has only very, very overpiced helmets - but this time i just got lucky.
    I will keep you all Updated on the Progress!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast