Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 From belgium (again)

Article about: Hey there , Got myself a nice "barn" M35 ET 66 probably HEER on my way from Belgium . The inside is without a dowt all origial and looks like a barnfind nice and complete even with

Default M35 From belgium (again)

Hey there ,
    Got myself a nice "barn" M35 ET 66 probably HEER on my way from Belgium .

The inside is without a dowt all origial and looks like a barnfind nice and complete even with a name
    On the out side on the other hand looks terrible overpainted
    The lot nr revision sais its a ND or a HEER DD ,eitherway i might wanna do a "dig"under the toplayer of paint.

When its nothing I will restore it back to a suitable condition,better suiting the weir of the inside.

Better pics wil be taken this week

M35 From belgium  (again)M35 From belgium  (again)M35 From belgium  (again)M35 From belgium  (again)M35 From belgium  (again)M35 From belgium  (again)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 From belgium  (again)
    P
    Many

Are you sure it's an M35? the vents look more like M40 to me. A real pity about the paint because somebody has spoiled a nice semi relic lid!,,,

Quote by rottenfuhrer-nl View Post
    The lot nr revision sais its a ND or a HEER DD ,eitherway i might wanna do a "dig"under the toplayer of paint.
    Could also be Luftwaffe, SS, Polizei - the LOT number will not definitely tell you which decal (if any) the helmet had.
    Nick

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Are you sure it's an M35? the vents look more like M40 to me. A real pity about the paint because somebody has spoiled a nice semi relic lid!,,,
    Yep, from these pics my bet is M40 for sure.

The overpaint is so recent and so inappropriate that I don't think you would lose by gently removing it. I would try first with acetone (nail polish remover) which will dissolve many modern paints but not wartime paint. If that fails try a commercial paint stripper from a DIY store. The modern stuff is not like heavy duty industrial chemicals and is much less aggressive (due to EU regulation - No comment from me there!). Just be careful, follow the instructions and don't try to get it all of at once but a layer at a time. As I say, I feel there is not much to lose and everything to gain because as it is the historical value has been mostly destroyed unless you can reverse the damage. Don't forget, if you do try that the results, good or bad, and method used will be a useful reference for others so please post here!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Well as you guys see there is a reinforced alu liner with the M35 D rings .
    And with a apple green inside so its not a LW helmet
    Apple green was used on factury issued M35 on SS Heer KM and Politie
    The air vent kinda looks a bit like a 40s in this angle but its a M35
    I have better pics when it arrives
    Leaving this paint is not an option so in worst case it needs to be redone on bare steel , witch i can
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 From belgium  (again)   M35 From belgium  (again)  

ET M40 have less pronounced vents , so looks like an M35 to me.
    That said the alu reinforced liner can be present on ET M40's with lotnr's in the 4xxx range.

Too bad someone ruined it , almost every M35 started life as DD only with some factories the high lots were SD helmets (except for Polizei). Never ND.

No lot number book needed because that is basic info.

It is a 4511 range ,do you have any options what to do when there is nothing left under the paint?

I will keep ya posted on every step amd even ask for tips ....The m35 KM on the picture is restored from a bare steel shell

Quote by rottenfuhrer-nl View Post
    I will keep ya posted on every step amd even ask for tips ....The m35 KM on the picture is restored from a bare steel shell
    There is a seperate restoration forum section for this , please post it there. Thx.

The second lid with the decal is an M35, but i still think the one in the original post is an M40.