Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 DD/ et66 / #4588

Article about: Hello Forum, me again.. i hope not to annoy you with all my posts lately. Today i have a M35, ex DD, ET66 for you, Lot Number is 4588. Repainted with a extra layer of paint. Named "Will

?

Default M35 DD/ et66 / #4588

Hello Forum,

me again.. i hope not to annoy you with all my posts lately.

Today i have a M35, ex DD, ET66 for you, Lot Number is 4588. Repainted with a extra layer of paint. Named "Will" (common german name).
    Chinstrap seems to be period repaired.

Maybe you have an impression on this piece? To me it looks good.
    Please excuse the poor picture quality..

Overall it seems like a helmet worth to collect for me, especially the bigger size.

Best regards and as always: thank you guys for your opinions!
    Tobi

M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    M35 DD/ et66 / #4588

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD/ et66 / #4588
    P
    Many

The paint inside that looks like regular apple green with the same showing through the missing areas of what looks like an overpaint. I don’t think the lighting in these photos is doing the helmet any favours. Not sure what going on with the liner as it looks like a 9 finger liner but the tongue to the left of the rear seam appear to be cut in half. 9 tongue liners were normally made for size 68 and above sized shells. Seems to fit so perhaps a wrong sized shell stamp - I’m sure it happened. Would like to see closeups of the remains of the Heer decal and photos of the other side of the helmet too. Looks like Heer decal may have been dug out. Wonder what’s happening on the other side..hmmm.

Based on these images it generally looks OK but I would want better high res images of the entire helmet preferably in daylight to see what’s going on with the paint and decals.

Andy

Nine tongued liners were made for some size 66 helmets, (although it's just a sliver of a finger) so it looks fine to me.
    I agree with Andy about the lighting not doing the helmet any favours - looks like it could be ok, but would ask for better pics, especially around the decal areas.
    Difficult to tell when the repair to the chinstrap was done.

And a close up of the decal areas.

I have a factory install 8 1/2 tongue one In a size 66. It happens
    Z

It all depends on how the leather is cut, having started making my own liners for reenacting it's pretty common that this occurs, I've seen even 9 tongue liners in 64's and 7 tongue liners in 64's, too (originals).
    I also recently got some unused BW liners from eBay and all were stamped in a length of 69cm, so that in the factory they could make whatever size they needed out of it.
    So depending on where you start and stop you can have more or less leather tongues in the liner, often if the tongue is too slim to fit a reinforcing ring and the hole for the draw string, it would be cut off straight away as it serves no purpose.
    Anyway, enough rambling about leather.
    Looks like an interesting helmet, as already said, the photos are less than optimal, could be a good one, though.
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    It all depends on how the leather is cut, having started making my own liners for reenacting it's pretty common that this occurs, I've seen even 9 tongue liners in 64's and 7 tongue liners in 64's, too (originals).
    I also recently got some unused BW liners from eBay and all were stamped in a length of 69cm, so that in the factory they could make whatever size they needed out of it.
    So depending on where you start and stop you can have more or less leather tongues in the liner, often if the tongue is too slim to fit a reinforcing ring and the hole for the draw string, it would be cut off straight away as it serves no purpose.
    Anyway, enough rambling about leather.
    Looks like an interesting helmet, as already said, the photos are less than optimal, could be a good one, though.
    Luis
    Great. Now Luis is putting his knowledge into becoming the one of the most prolific "fakers" of our time. Beware of any 9 Liner Tongue Fakes coming out of Deutschland people
    Z

That’s why I used the word “normally”. Im sure there are lots of oddities out there but you’d think a smaller liner would fit into a bigger shell than larger liner into smaller shell. Perhaps done at the time the solder was being kitted out and just to ensure a snugger fit or running low on a particular size!? Yours is probably an example Zach? Trimmed at the time while fitting to an “in-between” sized head

Andy

I wonder Andy. Good question. Did they do that? ... kind of tailor to the soldier ?

Or perhaps when moving along on the production line ...they were getting to the end of the “roll” (?) of leather and just kind of threw in the extra because it was there and fit. Or For whatever reason the band or shell was an in between size as you say.

Andrea would def know. I’ll post mine up in am Zzzzz Time here.

Z

?

Hello to all of you and thanks for the numerous replies

and sorry for the bad quality. I will ask the seller for high-res photos, including close up pictures of the decals. Anything else, what would be important?

the "half" finger looks odd, but what PotatoDigger wrote makes sense to me. They sure have used what they can get, back then..

great forum, thank you for teaching me something new every day i log in here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast