Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M35 DD SE 64 Heer Overpaint - with some history

Article about: This helmet arrived in the mail today. Purchased it from a member here who picked it out of the woodwork. A big thanks to FNG. Want to have a bit of fun on this one but we will get to that i

MAP
    ?

Default M35 DD SE 64 Heer Overpaint - with some history

This helmet arrived in the mail today. Purchased it from a member here who picked it out of the woodwork. A big thanks to FNG.

Want to have a bit of fun on this one but we will get to that in a minute.

It's an M35 DD SE 64 Heer with probably two coats of paint over the original apple green. The first looks like it is a standard darker feldgrau thana brush applied thick single color overcoat/camo. The helmet, despite it's hard worn appearance is still solid.

I would guess that it has been continuously used from 1935 to 1944/45. I find it appealing as it is.

Under the paint you can see the Heer decal and in hand you can just make out some red of the National Shield decal.

It has a single band aluminum liner and despite the visual look, the leather is solid and still soft. Liner band is a bit loose but I would be worried if it wasn't given the hard use it has seen.

Chinstrap is a steel buckle 1941 Wilhelm Ellers example and obviously wartime replace (these are usually seen on Luft helmets)

It is named twice. The first is scratched into the paint. Only a capital "H" is visible as the second name "O. Senft" is painted over the rest.

Unfortunately the lot # is unreadable but it looks to be 3042 or 5042. But could be wrong.

So the fun part.....

Normally I would not buy a helmet like this as I already have a few salty helmet but this one had some unique features that made it interesting enough to pick up and study.

I won't say what is unique. Let's see if anyone can guess. The clues are NOT hidden. They are all in the photos. As another hint, each clue adds up to one bigger feature.

I have my own hypothesis as to what it is, and have spoken to a number of advanced collectors who think it is highly probable.

AND PLEASE - for those of you I have already spoken to about this helmet or you have seen it on another forum, lets hold off on spoiling the fun for others OK? cool Militaria

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD SE 64 Heer Overpaint - with some history
    P
    Many

Michael,

Well, first off I'm amazed that a non-reinforced aluminium liner band survived that long - especially with the damage / deformation of the D rings and their stirrups.

.......hang on, what the? metal d rings? ....and one looks like it was made from a nail?

Then there's those split liner rivets.. the REAL early thick metal ones? ....What gives here... a hybrid of hybrids?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Michael,

Well, first off I'm amazed that a non-reinforced aluminium liner band survived that long - especially with the damage / deformation of the D rings and their stirrups.

.......hang on, what the? metal d rings? ....and one looks like it was made from a nail?

Then there's those split liner rivets.. the REAL early thick metal ones? ....What gives here... a hybrid of hybrids?
    Very good eyes Dan. Very good. You found a few of the clues. There are more though.

You're maybe 1/4 of the way there......

This is the fun part when buying a helmet. Uncovering these little quirks...This is the sole reason I bought this helmet.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ok, I'll bite again - the only way those D ring stirrups would have deformed THAT badly ( and probably why the leather strap was replaced ) is that it was hung on a hook and jostled about - like on a tracked vehicle .... did it belong to a PanzerGrenadier perhaps?

Or am I stretching imagination ....

MAP
    ?

Your getting cold. You were much warmer before (and not about the field repaired bale which itself is a really cool feature)

I would fully expect a replaced chinstrap on a helmet with this much wear and tear. The stirrups alone are half worn through

There are 5 to 6 clues that I found leading to one big reveal (for those geeky enough to be excited by it....some may yawn). You found one.....so far

Its almost "happy hour" on Friday over here - let me put the beer goggles on and I can see clearer .... lol
    Last edited by Danmark; 05-22-2020 at 06:21 AM.

I think I might know but that is because if I remember right we had a conversation about this helmet I will not ruin the fun for everybody else.! Love the heavy combat look to it! Congrats on your new helmet.!

OK, try again young man ...... because of the odd "mottled" wear predominately to the top & upper sides, could this have had a half basket fitted at one stage?

You already know how much I like this one MAP but every time I look at it I see more details. These types of lids really speak to you. That tiny bit of red from the Nat shield trying to force its way out of crack in the overpaint. Thinking wash applied even more now with these pics. Can’t wait to see some new shots from inside the booth.

And if you ever feel like you have too many M35’s you’ve got my address.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    OK, try again young man ...... because of the odd "mottled" wear predominately to the top & upper sides, could this have had a half basket fitted at one stage?
    Nope....

Hint: It's all on the inside of the helmet. Nothing on the outside.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast