Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Heer DD Quist

Article about: Here's one that I bought when I was a young kid who didn't know any better and it has issues. 😬 Quist 64 with lot number 1809. The liner is a size 58, which is one size too big for a

TWS
    ?

Default M35 Heer DD Quist

Here's one that I bought when I was a young kid who didn't know any better and it has issues. 😬 Quist 64 with lot number 1809. The liner is a size 58, which is one size too big for a 64 shell. That coupled with some paint on the band and liner edges leads me to believe the liner has been swapped at some point. The pins also lack washers. The band is dated 1940. The German soldier wrote his name that looks like "Resch or Risch" on the liner, but some genius wrote "Super Delux" in green pen in it at some point and there is an illegible phrase on the other side - have never taken time to decipher. Nonetheless I thought I'd post up the black sheep of the family as some may still find it interesting. Rear skirt has a small ding/bend in it that gives it a little character.

M35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD QuistM35 Heer DD Quist
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Heer DD Quist
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I'm sure we all have had one like this at one time. Looks like Piesch.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, still a nice shell even with the internal issues. As mistakes go, it's a pretty good one! Leon.

TWS
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, still a nice shell even with the internal issues. As mistakes go, it's a pretty good one! Leon.
    Thanks. At least it's all original parts even if not originally put together and it has character so I've kept it all these years.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

M38
    ?

Hey Todd, an interesting helmet. You did not show an overall shot of the liner so I can't see how it fits in the shell. It is difficult to get a larger size liner in a smaller size shell without bending the band all up. You don't say if the 58 leather is in a 64 band or is it in the proper 66 band? It is possible to get a 58 leather in a 64 band but there is almost no gap between the leather and the band when that is done. I can see square bales on the band but I can't tell if it is aluminum or steel? Who is the maker on the band? If aluminum it is probably WZ being a 1940 date. We need more information here!

I'm not saying it hasn't been replaced. The paint on the band and the missing washers indicate as much. But I have seen one or two helmet shells that were mis-marked. For example, I have an M42 that is marked ckl64 but has a 62 liner that fits it perfectly. It is also not impossible that the leather was mis-stamped.

Cheers,
    Terry

TWS
    ?

Hi Terry,
    I knew I had taken an overall shot, but somehow I neglected to post it. Here it is. I can pull the helmet off the shelf and attempt to check the band again but if I recall despite being a swapped liner it was in there pretty tight and I don't think I could view the stampings well.
    M35 Heer DD Quist
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Managed to view the stampings: Werner Zahn band is dated '40 (reinforced aluminum as you could see above) and is a 66/58 size band which I was quite sure of but now we know.
    Last edited by TWS; 12-22-2018 at 04:18 AM.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

M38
    ?

Thanks Todd. I can see that it fits very tightly in the shell. I am really surprised it fits at all though. I've seen other helmets where someone tried to stick a 66 band in a 64 shell and it looks like they used a sledgehammer to get it in. Amazing. So a post war job no doubt.

I know collectors don't like to fool with things nowadays but this one really deserves to be "restored" with the proper liner and slotted washers I think. It is a decent example.

Cheers,
    Terry

TWS
    ?

Quote by M38 View Post
    Thanks Todd. I can see that it fits very tightly in the shell. I am really surprised it fits at all though. I've seen other helmets where someone tried to stick a 66 band in a 64 shell and it looks like they used a sledgehammer to get it in. Amazing. So a post war job no doubt.

I know collectors don't like to fool with things nowadays but this one really deserves to be "restored" with the proper liner and slotted washers I think. It is a decent example.
    Cheers,
    Terry
    Thanks Terry. Yes, the shell is nice and has character. I've just never made up my mind whether to do anything with it or just leave it be. So, due to my inertia by default it's simply stayed this way for the 20+ years I've owned it plus however longer ago that the liner swap took place.
    Last edited by TWS; 12-22-2018 at 04:19 AM.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

M38
    ?

Thanks again Todd. Sometimes best to just leave things alone. Or let the next guy worry about it.

Cheers,
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast