Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Identification

Article about: Good Morning, I have recently acquired this double decal M35 and was interested to hear peoples thoughts on the helmet. Particularly if it all looked genuine. Thank you for your assistance.

ADH
    ?

Default M35 Identification

Good Morning,
    I have recently acquired this double decal M35 and was interested to hear peoples thoughts on the helmet. Particularly if it all looked genuine. Thank you for your assistance.
    Kind regards,
    AnthonyM35 IdentificationM35 IdentificationM35 IdentificationM35 IdentificationM35 IdentificationM35 Identification

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Identification
    P
    Many

I'm trying to find something I do like about it.... shape looks OK as are stamps but paint, rivets & decals are bad and the liner looks Norwegian in colour - maybe a dyed original?.

Maybe this is a refurbished one from a 1960's "military collectables" catalogue ...or a film prop from "Kellys Heroes"?

Hope you didn't "shell" out a lot of $$ for it.......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

OK, let me qualify some of those things I said.....

The rivets seem ( from the images ) to be completely flat. ALL ww2 era shell rivets had a dome to the shape, only slight, but it was there. WW1 and some transitional had flat rivets but not so from 1935 on.

The decals are the common repro water slide type - they easily flake off as seen.

There are brush strokes on the inside of the helmet so that leads to the repaint comment - as well as the shade and patina is just not there for an 80 year old....

ADH
    ?

Thank you for your expert comment. Much appreciated. Will get some more pictures later.

Quote by ADH View Post
    Thank you for your expert comment. Much appreciated. Will get some more pictures later.
    Don't be disillusioned ADH, this is an expensive hobby, ALWAYS post here before you buy, the guys are really helpful in saving your hard-earned - and you should have seen my first ( and second ) helmet purchases - both were 'Barry Crockers' ...... ( shockers )

Cheers, Dan

ADH
    ?

Thank you for the advice and support. Fortunately didn't spend a heap and still hoping, given the stamps, it might be an original shell that has been poorly reconditioned. It is all in the learning. Thank you again.
    Anthony

Quote by Danmark View Post
    OK, let me qualify some of those things I said.....

The rivets seem ( from the images ) to be completely flat. ALL ww2 era shell rivets had a dome to the shape, only slight, but it was there. WW1 and some transitional had flat rivets but not so from 1935 on.

The decals are the common repro water slide type - they easily flake off as seen.

There are brush strokes on the inside of the helmet so that leads to the repaint comment - as well as the shade and patina is just not there for an 80 year old....
    Dan - don't forget also the shoelace used for the liner tie string.

ADH - the chinstrap does merit further examination. If it is original you could claw back some of your investment if you cannot return the entire helmet.

nick

ADH
    ?

Thank you Gentlemen,
    Is it possible the shell is original given the stamps? Cheers Anthony

It all starts with good decal close ups. The photos are really small.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I'm trying to find something I do like about it.... shape looks OK as are stamps but paint, rivets & decals are bad and the liner looks Norwegian in colour - maybe a dyed original?.

Maybe this is a refurbished one from a 1960's "military collectables" catalogue ...or a film prop from "Kellys Heroes"?

Hope you didn't "shell" out a lot of $$ for it.......
    I agree, it is easy once you know (hard when you don't of course) but the rivets and decals alone give this one away from ten paces.

As mentioned above, the rivets are totally the wrong profile and even the Norwegian refurbished helmets had rivets like the originals. Also the decals really stick out when you become used to originals. These are the same type as the decals on model aircraft kits. Even allowing for monitor resolution and small pics the colour in the 2nd pic especially is just wrong. My initially thought was that it looks like the post-war Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) shade of green. They did use original TR helmets before new W.German production got fully up to speed but this is definately not a BGS helmet (again because of the rivets). The dark colour of the liner does make it look like a Norwegian one which were original TR liners treated with a preservative dye and some even had larger size leathers cut down and re-stitched to fit smaller sizes.

As you say you didn't pay much for it that would generally be a bit of a clue these days unless you are very lucky as most people selling TR helmets even the "layman" will have some idea of the market value.

As the others have said; don't be put off but treat it as a learning experience and do your "book work". Every one of us has a "little box of shame" if not a bloody great crate of fakes and repro duds that we keep to remind us of a time when we knew far less than we thought we did
    And don't forget, if at all uncertain about an item just post it here before buying it.

Oh, and if the chinstrap does turn out to be original you might be surprised at how much it could be worth, check out some websites!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-01-2020 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast