Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 Q64 SD Re-Issue - What do you think?

Article about: Good evening, gents. I picked up a new M35 reissue that I'd like to show. It's a Quist 64 with a lot number of 932. Have a look: It displays a nice, even re-coat of matte field gray. No mess

Default M35 Q64 SD Re-Issue - What do you think?

Good evening, gents. I picked up a new M35 reissue that I'd like to show. It's a Quist 64 with a lot number of 932. Have a look:

It displays a nice, even re-coat of matte field gray. No messy brush strokes, and very smooth finish - possibly a factory reissue or well done depot reissue? The decal doesn't appear painted around, but rather added onto the new paint, however, it certainly could have been painted around, but was done very neatly if so. There's no evidence of the tri-color decal under the paint on the other side:

Some close-ups of the Quist "big foot" decal. It's slightly toned yellow in person but appears very white in the photo due to the lighting:

Good, intact liner (but slightly brittle and cracked):

Early aluminum buckle chinstrap:

Split-pins showing similar wear as the helmet:

Now here's something interesting - a very early size 64 liner band by Schuberth-Werke – AG, Braunschweig, dated 1931. This one has the very thick rivet heads fixing the leather to the band. Odd to see one this old on a re-issue:

The leather also appears to have the same maker and date (though it could read 1937, but it does look like a 1):

Split pins are all very flat and don't appear fiddled with. They appear to be marked "KA 40". Possibly the liner was removed, the helmet repainted to new regulations and re-decaled, and then the liner fitted back in with new pins when reissued:

Maker, size and lot number:

Overall I'm very pleased with this helmet, and I think I've landed a good one with some interesting features, but as always, please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, folks!
    Last edited by DerFunker; 11-30-2022 at 12:50 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Q64 SD Re-Issue - What do you think?
    P
    Many

I like it as well DF, you can see where it has been touched up on the outside but over all it looks nice.

?

My opinion is pretty much worthless, but I like it a lot! I too am interested in why a 1931 liner would end up in a re-issue M40... could be an interesting story.

I mainly wanted to reply to commend you on being one of what seems about a dozen people on the planet earth in AD 2022 who are capable of following the guidelines and posting decent photos. A breath of fresh air.

MAP
    ?

Nice! I like the early liner!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Really nice helmet , the early liner with the 40 pins is interesting but could be easy to explain. Old stock.

That’s a handsome looking helmet. Congrats.
    I assume the split pins are steel as opposed to the earlier brass/aluminium ones which were prone to shearing off.
    Why was the aluminium liner not replaced with a steel liner at the same time as the split pins, as they suffered from the same issues.
    Just trying to work out the logic for not doing this at the same time.
    I also have an M35 Q with a dated 37 single Aluminium liner (Max Densow) with steel split pins.

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    That’s a handsome looking helmet. Congrats.
    I assume the split pins are steel as opposed to the earlier brass/aluminium ones which were prone to shearing off.
    Why was the aluminium liner not replaced with a steel liner at the same time as the split pins, as they suffered from the same issues.
    Just trying to work out the logic for not doing this at the same time.
    I also have an M35 Q with a dated 37 single Aluminium liner (Max Densow) with steel split pins.
    There are plenty of reissues that kept the old liner , remember people thought a lot different than we do. They did not throw things away that were not broken.
    It's a totally different mindset.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    There are plenty of reissues that kept the old liner , remember people thought a lot different than we do. They did not throw things away that were not broken.
    It's a totally different mindset.
    Yes, but my point is they knew the fragility of the aluminium components, if they took out the liner during the reissue and inserted stronger steel split pins in why did they not install a stronger steel liner at the same time.

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    Yes, but my point is they knew the fragility of the aluminium components, if they took out the liner during the reissue and inserted stronger steel split pins in why did they not install a stronger steel liner at the same time.
    Because of my reasoning above :-) It's a good liner and see today it's still good :-)
    I also think the fragility of the single alu bands has been overstated. It just depends where and how it was used that it got broken but look at how many survived intact.
    In some cases they were even repaired.

I am not denying the above helmet is all good.
    It’s a lovely looking helmet.
    And as said,I have one in that liner configuration as well.
    It would just make sense to me to replace the liner at the same time as the pins.
    I am just curious why they did not do that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast