MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit

Article about: As I said in the initial thread, I would take better pictures of the helmet as I got it and post it in a new thread. Here it is! About as early as you'll get for a Quist M35 as they started

Default M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit

As I said in the initial thread, I would take better pictures of the helmet as I got it and post it in a new thread.
    Here it is!

About as early as you'll get for a Quist M35 as they started production a little later than ET and the like.
    ( I'd also call this sort of helmet "the M35" as it's the version with no alterations made to it yet)

The decals were very carefully removed without leaving any scratches or many remnants even, but it sure was done a long time ago.
    The helmet comes from Friedrichstadt in Northern Germany where it was found in an attic, no further details are known about the owner etc. unfortunately.

1936 dated G. Schiele Loburg strap and stamped with "Esk. I" (I. Eskadron, part of a cavalry unit, like Kompanie in an infantry unit) and a "B", so far unknown what it actually stands for.
    1935 dated Schuberth liner band
    Leather with embossed size stamp 66 / 59 and the date 1931
    1936 (I) dome stamp
    For the rest, just look at the photos

Only cleaned it a little with a wet rag to clean off some dust, but I will keep most of the crap between liner and shell there.
    Also quite visible corrosion around the buckle of the chinstrap and the chinstrap rivets. I also put the drawstring through all the the liner tongues again so it looks a little neater, didn't tie it though.

Hope you like it

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit   M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit  

M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit   M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit  

M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit   M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit
    P
    Many

More photos..
    Also looking at Frank's database, this would be the first Q M35 with a 1935 liner, the other ones noted with a date are 1936 or later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit   M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit  

M35 Q66 #2823 ex-DD (Heer) from a cavalry unit  

Nice piece!

MAP
    ?

Congrats Luis.

Nice digging out the little details on these helmets
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks, Roland and Michael!

I always appreciate the little details on my items the most, as long as the details amount to a whole picture, of course
    And the devil is in the details after all!

Luis

Love it Louis, it would perfectly fit to my a bit more salty DD m35, both helmets full of history, now in hands of collectors that appreciate them!

A good pickup Luis! Well done.

Certainly looks like a nice early one. They definitely did a good job at removing the decals without leaving a trace but you can certainly see the shadows. The photos of the liner show how thin and fragile these early liners actually were.

Very cool helmet.
    Andy

Thanks Adravor and Andy!
    Yeah I suppose it would fit in quite well with yours

And you're right about the liners being a bit thinner than later ones, they definitely used a different method for tanning the leather as the colour is differnt on a lot of pre war liners, especially the Schuberth ones.
    Well, and of course the aluminium liner bands that had a tendency to break..
    But I think this goes to show how the German military worked back then, steadily improving their stuff over time.

Luis

Sorry, actually meant to say liner band but yes the liner itself looks quite thin too! The original single band probably did quite well pre-war for parades and such but obviously couldn’t stand up to the rigours of combat. But like the original M16, the square dip which was modified due to cracking at the transition from front visor to side, some obviously managed to make it through the war untouched but used in combat. MAP recently picked up a single band M35 just like yours which showed a lot of hard use.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 08-08-2020 at 07:13 AM.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    .....MAP recently picked up a single band M35 just like yours which showed a lot of hard use.

Andy
    Yup

M35 DD SE 64 Heer Overpaint - with some history
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast