Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 SE64 Kriegsmarine Drivers Helmet #4831

Article about: Hi Guys I believe this helmet belonged to a Driver in the KM perhaps one of the Kriegsmarine Naval Supply Units. His rank “Kraftfahrer Obergefreiter”and his name “Olbrich” are nicely

Default M35 SE64 Kriegsmarine Drivers Helmet #4831

Hi Guys

I believe this helmet belonged to a Driver in the KM perhaps one of the Kriegsmarine Naval Supply Units. His rank “Kraftfahrer Obergefreiter”and his name “Olbrich” are nicely written on the liner. The helmet is in good condition sans a stacking mark on the top made with what appears to be grease or oil.
    Perhaps it was stacked with a mechanics helmet in a Garage or at a Motor Pool somewhere during the war.

Maybe the owner was a truck driver ... cruising around the Autobahn or along the coast..... Wind in his hair.... with “Lili Marlene” bumpin on the radio.

I love these gray SE M35 KM Helmets and have owned quite a few. It’s has a Werner Zahn reinforced aluminum liner in line w other SE KM Examples. Nicely decal-ed SE ones are hard to come by as the ET Style decal on the gritty SE paint makes them prone to flaking off. So if I see one like this I try to grab it if possible. Also named KMs are always a bonus. I only have a couple that have the name in them. Chinstrap is snapped. In addition to the grease stain ... there is also some white scuffing on top as well. Aside from that ... decal ... paint and calf skin leather are all in nice shape.

I love German Helmets. Big ones. Small ones. Nice condition ones. Battle worn ones. Dirty ones. But I have to say ....... if it wasn’t for these little idiosyncrasies as in this one ... the Name, Rank and Grease Mark ... I think I would find them a lot less interesting.

Thanks for looking
    Z

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 SE64 Kriegsmarine Drivers Helmet #4831
    P
    Many

That is a great helmet , we used to call Doug Buhler the SS Magnet or but you are the KM magnet :-)
    Nice line up of KM helmets.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    That is a great helmet , we used to call Doug Buhler the SS Magnet or but you are the KM magnet :-)
    Nice line up of KM helmets.
    Thanks Frank! I like the lighter paint on this one. A nice example of this type

MAP
    ?

Another great pick up. So much going for this helmet.

These all need a seaside photo.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Super Kriegsmarine Quintet Zach!

The colour on this one really sets it apart from the crowd.

Still really enjoying viewing it and looking forward to some foggy morning photos down by the docks.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Super Kriegsmarine Quintet Zach!

The colour on this one really sets it apart from the crowd.

Still really enjoying viewing it and looking forward to some foggy morning photos down by the docks.

Andy
    Thanks Andy and MAP .... I will defintely be taking a KM down to the Beach for a photo shoot (on the Atlantic, the KMs Area of Operations) .... either this one or another little surprise that found its way to me late last week. I agree on the Color Andy ... never really saw a light one like this and I have had a few of these M35 paiunted to 1940 Spec Factory Conversions
    Z

Beautiful KM Helmet Z you really do have some just fantastic TR lids......

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Thanks Frank! I like the lighter paint on this one. A nice example of this type
    Probably has to do with lighter patination , or what do you think ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Probably has to do with lighter patination , or what do you think ?
    Frank - I was thinking it was a lightly used helmet. Perhaps thrown in a closet by a Canadian Vet after the war and stayed there all this time (came from an Auction in Montreal). It Hasn't been touched much at all so I agree with you. Talking to fellow collectors it seems the "grease mark" is actually from stacking of a British MKII helmet. I dont collect these or know anything about them so I would never have picked up on that the crosshatch marking is caused by the degradation of the British Helmets. The canadian Navy and Army also used these British Lids early in the war so ... maybe vet came home ... threw his KM in the closet along with his helmet.
    Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Frank - I was thinking it was a lightly used helmet. Perhaps thrown in a closet by a Canadian Vet after the war and stayed there all this time (came from an Auction in Montreal). It Hasn't been touched much at all so I agree with you. Talking to fellow collectors it seems the "grease mark" is actually from stacking of a British MKII helmet. I dont collect these or know anything about them so I would never have picked up on that the crosshatch marking is caused by the degradation of the British Helmets. The canadian Navy and Army also used these British Lids early in the war so ... maybe vet came home ... threw his KM in the closet along with his helmet.
    Z
    I had an M42 camo with a similar stacking ring. Also got told it was from a British helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast