MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

m40 with 4 air vents

Article about: GUYS INtRESESTED TO SEE A WW2 HELMET I DIDNT KNOW EXISTED IN A HELMET BOOK.It appears to be an elongated m40 with 4 m40 air vents.It also has the ear cut out like some of the m16s .Has any o

Default Re: m40 with 4 air vents

i have seen one on one of the sites, it's rare as rocking horse poop they were made near the end of the war if i am correct and i dont think they all went into full service i will have a scout around and see if i can find it again
    cheers Ronnie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m40 with 4 air vents
    P
    Many

Bikerboyz no its not!trust me i have been collecting a long time and i have described the helmet perfectly.Its definately an m40 with 4 air vents .Im suprised so far no one has seen it in the book i mentioned ,but for people who havent seen one like this before its going to be a treat !!SORRY TO TORTURE YOU GUYS.ps,the particular helemet certainly has an age patina which would suggest it was well used .

Guys i took pictures of it from the book ,and will have them on at the weekend hopefully?

I think what Las Vegas is talking about is the Luftwaffe Variant M40 Flight Helmet.

Below is some info from; German-Helmets.com

An interesting and rarely mentioned variant Luftwaffe flying steel helmet (Fliegerstahlhelm) is one that incorporates ear cut-outs on a basic model M1940 helmet. The ear cut-outs are designed to facilitate the use of radio equipment used on the standard cloth or leather flight helmet. The general appearance of the helmet is the same as an M1940 save for double air vents and the factory applied ear cut-out.

Many have speculated that these helmets were field modified in nature, however it would appear that the helmets are in fact factory produced. No specific designation has been given to these helmets. The interior of the helmet has been observed with both a standard M1931 second pattern zinc liner band and leather, or sometimes without liner save for a thick wool felt padding. When issued with the M1931 liner, the chinstraps are the same as those found on standard German combat helmets.

When encountered, these scarce helmets generally have been painted to increase their visibility. The exact reason for applying bright paint to these helmets is unknown, although some theorize that it intended to enhance rescue efforts in the event the flight crew bailed out and were lost at sea. When painted, these helmets often have the "wooden Dutch shoe" or "clog" insignia found on II./Zerstorer Geschwader 26 "Horst Wessel." Other configurations of insignia are also possible. In many cases, the standard second pattern Luftwaffe eagle insignia is also applied to the helmet either on the front or sides.

Further information regarding this helmet is unknown and original examples1 considered almost non-existent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

1 Many collectors have theorized that these rare helmets are nothing but "fantasy" items created from M1940 shells. However, close examination of originals proves that the helmets are in fact wartime manufactured shells of a very precise, and factory produced style.

Regards,

Spence

you are right spence thats the one im talking about!

?

)

Well bugger me, that's new. I was thinking of the other type of fliegerhelm, with the steel wire Y straps. Any more pics?

?

Sorry, the website in Russian
    link

I followed it from the bottom of your post. Very interesting site and you have many rare helmets there. Are they your collection?

?

Unfortunately, no. I can not boast a large collection.
    Discussed a helmet, I have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast