Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 battledamaged wintercamo from Latvia

Article about: Just got this M40 wintercamo helmet with battledamage from Kurland. It's a Q66 shell named to: Sauer. The damage is quite unique, perhaps S Mine damage as it comes from the inside and due to

Default M40 battledamaged wintercamo from Latvia

Just got this M40 wintercamo helmet with battledamage from Kurland. It's a Q66 shell named to: Sauer. The damage is quite unique, perhaps S Mine damage as it comes from the inside and due to it's round shape. Looks like there was a decal once..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 battledamaged wintercamo from Latvia
    P
    Many

?

Very nice multi camo then white, i like it !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul! Here you can see his name (it's much more visible out of the sunlight)

As a rule I avoid helmets from Latvia, but I would make an exception for this one, which looks good, assuming the price was right. Jim G.

Hi, looks like a good original winter cammo, well done. I hope the damage was done before the wearer had the opportunity to put the helmet on. Leon.

?

Jesus Christ !
    Amazing but terrific.
    We can see how the dark paint krack when it applied on the white one.
    it probably means the dark paint was applied when the white one wasn' t dry.
    Very nice.

That doesn't make sense, why apply spring/summer camo over the top of winter camo that hasn't dried yet, an early thaw? I doubt it. More likely the paint cracking is due to age and poor quality paint being applied over unprepared surfaces (no undercoat etc) but hey, these guys weren't looking to create works of art, just make their heads difficult to shoot holes in.

?

But, this kind of old paint got lead inside, it help to fix the paint. But it' s very long to dry.
    We spoke in years for dry. This type of crack is typical due to the poor quality of the dark paint who dry faster than the white one.
    Old white paint are always the longest to dry, due to the composition of the paint.
    It' s not about art, it' s just the composition of the paint.

sorry for my poor english potato vocabulary.

I'd take a guess and say that for the owner, the "war was over"...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the comments guys! I know the seller personally so I trust him and I was able to get it for a really good price. What do you guys think what the damage could have caused? I know we will never know but I'd like to hear what you think. Too bad I can't do any research on his name, there is something in front of his name but I don't know if it is his rank or initials...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast