Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 et64 helmet

Article about: Hey guys, Bought this m40.. leather liner is treated. Wanna know youre opinions on originality. Just let me know what you guys think. Thank you very much cheers

Default M40 et64 helmet

Hey guys,

Bought this m40.. leather liner is treated. Wanna know youre opinions on originality. Just let me know what you guys think.

Thank you very much cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 et64 helmet   M40 et64 helmet  

M40 et64 helmet   M40 et64 helmet  

M40 et64 helmet   M40 et64 helmet  

M40 et64 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 et64 helmet
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

I think the leather in the liner is suspect. Not sure about the paint, at the very least fairly heavily cleaned. Not a one looker original.

Cheers,
    Terry

Thanks for the comment what about the shell and the chinstrap?

M38
    ?

Strap seems okay from these photos but can't be 100% sure as they don't show all details. Shell is original, just not sure about the paint.

Cheers,
    Terry

Okay thanks well the leather in the liner has been treater with some kinda stuff to prevent drying put. But it is old.. rest of the liner is aged very natural.

Hi, I think the paint work is ok, but the liner if original has been seriously distorted in shape and colour by the "treatment". Leon.

The liner is reminiscent of a Eastern Europe knock off from the photos. Have to have it in hand for a better look. The helmet itself looks like a legit reissue piece.

Hi Leon how are you? Yes well the liner is original but I guess not original to this shell. Yes unfortunately the leather is dark now.. but the inside of the liner is genuine.. bit of rust and oxidation of the little rivots wich hold the leather in place. Those been together all its life. But indeed looks like the liner and the shell are put together somewere but that doesn't bother me to much. Lot of helmets when reissued did get a new liner.. just hope the paint is genuine.

M38
    ?

Take a close look at photo number 4 and blow it up as large as it goes. See the small rings around the drawstring holes? That is usually a sign of leather from another country. Also, the rear seam - I cannot see the stitching and that is important to see when evaluating the leather. Finally, the leather is wrinkled all the way around where it folds over the inner band and that is a bad sign also.

Paint may well be original but looks to have been cleaned or rubbed at least.

My opinions only, of course.

Cheers,
    Terry

I agree with Terry that is not original period leather , the shell has been repainted (stripped and repainted) post war. It is not the ET color and it should have a decal anyway. At best a layer of paint was removed and the chemicals took the patina and part of the original color away.
    But not a keeper imo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast