Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.

Article about: The other helmet that arrived today is this M40 NS 64 with "Lt. Capelle" painted in the skirt. Silly Leutnant painted right over the lot number, but I believe it's D102. The helmet

TWS
    ?

Default M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.

The other helmet that arrived today is this M40 NS 64 with "Lt. Capelle" painted in the skirt. Silly Leutnant painted right over the lot number, but I believe it's D102. The helmet may have been in a damp environment because the iron oxide used to roughen the paint has rusted, giving it almost a sandblasted effect. The pins are way too tight to bend the liner band down to view the date and if it feels like I have to use more than a little bit of pressure I leave it be. Just a partial broken chin strap remains.

M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Heer SD. NS 64, named.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Lovely helmet with a great looking classic Pocher decal. Correct for NS helmets.

Wondering about the name however. Doesn't look German

Lot #D102 is correct. There are other SD Heer examples in this same Lot# in Franks database.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Another text book helmet, you have done very well with those two. Leon.

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Lovely helmet with a great looking classic Pocher decal. Correct for NS helmets.

Wondering about the name however. Doesn't look German

Lot #D102 is correct. There are other SD Heer examples in this same Lot# in Franks database.
    Thanks Michael. Appreciate the confirmation. Although not a "melting pot" like the U.S., Germany still had a fair share of citizens who were 1st or 2nd generation from "somewhere else". A famous example is Admiral Wilhelm Canaris (changed from Kanaris) who was of Greek descent, but there were a decent number of German "normal joes" who had atypical family names.

Out of curiosity just now I checked the origin of Capelle as a family name and it is purported to originate in the area around Venice, so Leutnant Capelle probably had Italian roots going some distance back.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Another text book helmet, you have done very well with those two. Leon.
    Thanks Leon! I don't normally buy helmets at auction, but these were just too tempting. It also didn't hurt that there were plenty of very good photographs to study prior to bidding (much better than mine!).
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Yes, Capelle is Italian for sure. Same name as my neighbor

At first I thought is was a US vet claiming his prize but per you other thread I remembered you said these were sourced directly from Germany

Either way, two great helmets. Let me know when you get tired of them (even if they aren't camos)

Edit: Doh....my neighbors name ends in an "I". Not an "E"
    Last edited by MAP; 12-15-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes, Capelle is Italian for sure. Same name as my neighbor

At first I thought is was a US vet claiming his prize but per you other thread I remembered you said these were sourced directly from Germany

Either way, two great helmets. Let me know when you get tired of them (even if they aren't camos)
    Thanks! Yeah, i like them. Even if it didn't come from Germany, the way the name is painted in the skirt in white is pretty typical for the Heer. Clearly not every German soldier did it that way, but that manner of marking the helmet is seen a lot. G.I.'s were usually a little more "casual" in the way they marked souvenirs. I have one helmet in my collection since I was a kid that someone at some point (God knows when) wrote "Super Delux" in green ink right in the liner. Probably some pawn shop or military surplus shop owner back in the 50's or 60's.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Another cracking helmet - agree on the Pocher decal. I find they can be difficult to determine vs. HJK decals, but the back of the head is more square on the Pocher - unfortunately it is missing here. But would be right for NS helmet as Michael says.
    Similar 'donut' shaped air vents to the Quist.
    Nick

Nice helmet Todd. As far as the name...Not only Germans fought for Germany !!

Quote by real steel View Post
    Nice helmet Todd. As far as the name...Not only Germans fought for Germany !!
    Spot on David, i would hope no-one would be foolish enough to pass on a good SS helmet with an Turkish name in it!! Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast