Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious.

Article about: Hey guys sorry for posting so many threads. I dug out another one. I call this my Dubious M40. A coworker bought the shell at a flea market and bought a liner for it. He never did anything w

Default M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious.

Hey guys sorry for posting so many threads. I dug out another one. I call this my Dubious M40. A coworker bought the shell at a flea market and bought a liner for it. He never did anything with it and gave it to me. It has a apple green rough texture thats obviously new. I went to unload my 1911 one day and I missed catching the loaded mag and it hit the corner of my helmet on the couch. That's when I noticed the chunk missing. Do you think I should clean the skirt a little to find the makers mark, I can barely see it. I doubt it will hurt it because there is a bit of the shell already missing. There appears to be dark green almost black paint under the new, I'm just curious to see how much is there. It came with a really nice repro liner. I have a couple M40 shells, might use it one one of those.

M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious. M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 helmet question. It seems Dubious.
    P
    Many

Holey Moley!! if that chunk came off, it's a 'bondo bucket'!! ( you can see the corrosion underneath )

Save the liner for a reinactor helmet and ditch this one........ pronto
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Was going to say frikken fibreglass - love the firearm safety too!!

MAP
    ?

Agree. reworked from the ground up. Would have been better if left in it's original form as a relic. (if it is even an original shell).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Was going to say frikken fibreglass - love the firearm safety too!!
    I've seen and heard of some dodgy unloading practices when I was in the military, but why would you catch a magazine? Your hand should be underneath it when you release it!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've seen and heard of some dodgy unloading practices when I was in the military, but why would you catch a magazine? Your hand should be underneath it when you release it!
    Me too and the idea of unloading it near the couch (does that mean in the living room?) reminded me of a colleague making an illicit visit to his girlfriend in Londonderry whilst he was on duty and managed to blow a hole in the back of her parents couch with a 12 bore automatic shotgun (solid shot!!) which took some explaining

As for the helmet; as the guys have already said, it's a duck egg

Regards

Mark
    PS You can actually see the "Bondo" (other types of filler are available )

In UK filler used like that is sometimes called "Kipper" - could be showing my age there though
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-29-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I just walked walked in the door and it was in my holster on my hip. My couch is right there. hit the mag release and my hand missed the mag. My Taurus has a flared mag well base extension, it's a bit different from my normal carry. My ww1 and my 1911A1 don't clear the magwell fast at all, they just sort of slide out and I mostly carry the A1. I missed the mag, it happens. I don't know who tossed the helmet on the couch, I assume my friend who lives with me.

I might clean it off from the inside to see how much bondo magic was applied to this thing. I have a decent M40 shell with no liner I might put the liner in or a nice M40 non decal with the metal band and just the felt ring I might use the liner on. Either way I appreciate the liner he gave me. Might post some pics after to show how much effort went into cleaning this thing up.

?

junk!!

I was always taught to clear a weapon before entering the premises.

Hey Simon - well at least you did not pay big money for this, so no great loss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast